Front axle straight indication pins question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Front axle straight indication pins question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 11:18 am:

I would like to knock out a set of the indicator pins as shown in "The Model T Ford Owner" on page 119. Does anyone have the height dimension that the tips should be? Am I correct in that as long as both kingpins are square with each other that it isn't critical on height from perch boss to top of Kingbolt? As always, thanks in advance. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 11:51 am:

Gary,

Not a direct answer – it doesn’t say the height of the fixtures. But for some good information on straightening the front axle please see:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/282868.html?1334690461

That posting has the page 119 from the Ford Owner but it also has a good example of using longer rods to check for axle alignment. Because they are longer it is easier to see if they remain parallel or not. Not just as you sight down the length of the axle but also as you look perpendicular to the axle where you want all the rods to also be parallel and perpendicular to the axle. The Ford Owner uses a plumb line or level to determine that.

Either method would work. And the May 1927 Ford Service Bulletin had this to say:

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 11:40 pm:

Gary, my two originals are about 18" long. The longer they are the better they will show any deviation from true, within reason.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 12:12 am:

You need 4 of them with cones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 12:22 am:

Mine are Bear Brand and are 7/16's X 25 - 1/2 inch's long.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration