Steering Bracket Felt Washer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Steering Bracket Felt Washer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 01:14 pm:

My car is a 1922 Touring.

I had a question about the felt washer that acts as a grease seal on the steering frame bracket. How thick should this felt washer be? It seems that there are two pictures floating around and I was wondering what is correct. It seems like the thick felt washer I got does not fit perfectly into its space. (Maybe I have to grease it first and compact it) I included a picture of both my bracket and the Thick and Thin felt washers that seem to be out there.

Bracket

Thick Washer

Thin Washer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

Use the thick one. The thin one will just push out when you turn down the grease cup. They need to be greased and pushed into place before the shaft can be inserted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 01:42 pm:

You have to rub grease into it, then stuff it into the groove with a blunt tool like a broken screwdriver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 01:48 pm:

But the Felt seal goes into place then the shaft goes through it while together or you put the shaft through and then slide the seal down the shaft and stuff it into place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 04:19 pm:

The felt goes in the bracket first then you slide the shaft through it.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 01:27 pm:

My 1927 Touring has no place for a felt. Was 26-27 the only years for no felt. ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 08:09 pm:

I think that is correct. Trucks also did not have the felt. They had a small cup that slid onto the steering shaft before the bracket that held the felt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 08:11 pm:

That should say the TT steering bracket also did not have a place for the felt built in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 10:16 pm:

The trucks had a special cupped washer that slid on the shaft. They will work on a car too. Too many of those steering brackets have been beat on, and the area for the felt deformed. They aren't hard to find, so make sure you have a good one, and yes, the '26-7s had no felt.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration