Depot Hack / Huckster Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Depot Hack / Huckster Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 06:24 pm:

I have a few questions for those who may have built there own wood bodies cars. I have the rolling chassis done and am building what will be a produce wagon body. First problem is that I have touring fenders that I will be using. I'm wondering if anyone has cut into the back of these to make the body wider. Also wondering what the width of your wood body is at the back, and if you have the cowl what the length is from the back of the cowl to the back of the body. I am using a cowl and a regular windshield and the roof will come down to the windshield with a leather wind breaker?? Thanks for any suggestions, I know, buy the right depot hack fenders but that's not going to happen this year, and the touring fenders were 35 bucks for the pair and butchering them is not a big deal. Thanks Jim Derocher, AuGres, Michigan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 08:08 pm:

I built a Hudson Wagon Works depot hack back in 1973 and I did the same thing with a pair of rear touring fenders and they fit great. Good luck with your build. Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

Or;

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 09:05 pm:

For what ever help it may be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 09:25 pm:

Jim,

Go here, scroll up and down, find something you like and double click it will take you to a discussion and further info about the picture

Hackamania

(If my link is wrong can someone correct it...I'm at work and the direct link here wants to go through Google.hk servers)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 10:05 pm:

I mounted a Fordor cowl and running boards, then bolted trailer fenders to the running boards. I used blocks of wood to hold the fenders at the right height, then built the body to the width of the inside of the fenders. It is dragging tail pretty good in this picture, there were 5 kids on the tailgate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 10:21 pm:

site:http://www.mtfca.com/discus/ hack

This is what the TYPED link was supposed to be on Google images. It will then bring up every photo associated with any MTFCA post that contains the word hack.

As far as the picture Gary posted...do pay attention to the subtle differences, that is a John Sieger hack body in the picture. John throws conventional wisdom out the window trying to copy a pure...he lowers his roof lines about an inch...he makes the front seats comfortable distance for fat guys...and he shortens his body by about a foot. The result is very pleasing proportions all around including front and rear.

Notice also that the sills are '2 by' laid flat. You then notch the body floor for the rear crosstie 'hump' and Johns designs really start to seem sleeker rather than a big box wallowing side to side as you go down the road. Here are a few front and rear shots of the same hack Gary posted...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 10:59 pm:

Jim,
I used a car windshield like you mentioned. I also was concerned about "connecting" the w/s to the top until I started driving it. There's enough wind from everywhere else, that little gap between the w/s and roof don't matter. I usually run with the w/s folded down unless it's dark, cold, or raining. Rather than cut into the body or chop up the fenders, I used a pair of 26-27 p/u rear fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

Hey Steve, did you notch out the fenders or leave them as is? Thanks Gary, do you know the width at the back? Thanks Ed, where did the fenders come from, auto parts store?? Ed I have looked over your 27 several times at Don Booths place, looks perfect to me. I'm sure your looking forward to spring as much as we are here along the lake, still about 18 to 24 inches of snow on the level around here, can you measure the width at the back when you get a chance, fenders like yours would let me get more width for sure. George, thanks for the photos, that helps me a lot. I couldn't get either link to work, I'll look at them tomorrow. Mark, I had the same idea, who needs back fenders, still an option for sure. Thanks for taking the time to help guys, when I figure out how to post pictures [when my wife shows me] I'll get some pics of where I am at on this project. Jim Derocher, AuGres, Michigan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 12:24 am:

I, once, had a 23 depot hack with a Syverson body. The builder started with a 23 touring car and just notched the fender on the front inside end where it curves to match the touring body contour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 09:37 am:

A little off topic, but if you build a body, do some sort of mock up involving roof height and visibility. I recently sold one that had too low a roof and if I were any where near a light I couldn't see it. In fact I had to slouch some to look way down the road and I'm only 5'6 & 3/32"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 11:15 am:

Jim, I did notch the fenders where the body interfered and made mounting brackets to fit the body.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration