1912 jack

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1912 jack
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 11:49 pm:

Does someone have a picture of a correct 1912 jack ? I'm going to Bakersfield in a couple of weeks and would like to have a picture in my pocket in case I find something that looks good.

Also, is anyone going to Bakersfield who will have a handful of Schrader valve stem caps for sale ?

Thanks,

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 10:15 am:

From the Encyclopedia:

JACKS
(from Trent Boggess)
Not much is known about the jacks used on (and supplied with) the Model T cars and trucks. The following was found an Accession 1701 at the Research Library.
T-3389 (passenger cars) and TT-3389 (trucks) are the factory numbers for the jacks beginning about 1913. No releases are available with details the changes over the years.
The symbol number of the jack was not adopted until 1913. Before that time there are no references to jacks in the parts manuals, so I have no good idea of what a factory supplied jack, if there was one, looked like. The first surviving drawing of a jack is dated early 1919. It is the standard screws type that all of us know and love so well. It is not marked with the name Ford script on the handle in the drawing.

My inclination would be to just go with the common Model T screw jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 10:18 am:

I've got one out in the garage, and I'll try to get a photo of it some time today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 12:38 pm:

There is an official letter I found that was sent to dealerships sometime shortly after the beginning of the 1913 Model year (October 1, 1912). That letter stated that Ford was going to BEGIN supplying top boots and a jack with the 1913 Model T Fords and that dealers could requisition the factory for a top boot for open cars and jacks for all cars so long as those cars were shipped on or after October 1, 1912 but they were emphatic that the dealer could NOT make requisition for those items for any car with a ship date before October 1, 1912 since it stated that "those cars are not 1913 models..". Thus no factory supplied jack or top boot before 1913 is the official word. I am sure that T owners before 1913 had a jack under the back seat but it didn't come from Ford factory as standard until 1913 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 01:39 pm:

Thanks for the education, guys.

My '12 arrived with one of the screw-type jacks when purchased by my father in 1961. I always figured that it wasn't original and wanted to equip the car with a "correct" jack. Since I now know that there isn't any "correct" jack (April '12 car), I guess all bets are off. The screw type works very well, so I guess it will continue living under the back seat just as it has for 50+ years.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 01:50 pm:

Dick

This is an earlier post on jacks for the early T's, and shows an aftermarket company adv for jacks that fit the Ford, so that would help in your search for a period correct jack.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/371967.html?1373247312

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy palmer on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 02:15 pm:

John Regan,

If there where no boots before 1913,then why does the 1912 catalogue-manual,presumbably printed in late 1911, show all open cars with a boot?

The 1911 catalogue shows no boots on open cars.

The first photo is from the 1911 catalogue with no boot.

And a boot with a photo/drawing is listed in the 1912 parts catalogue as well.

the second photo is from the 1912 catalogue with a boot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 09:45 pm:

Dick-
The Feb 1912 Ford Times has an ad for the Buckeye Jack. The ad says their No. 03 is especially designed for FORD cars.

Since Ford did not supply one, this type would be appropriate. Here is another ad:

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 10:24 pm:

I have a Buckeye jack, and I much prefer it over the standard Ford jack. It's what I carry in my driver T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 12:32 am:

Thanks again, guys.

I have printed out the picture of the Buckeye 03 and will carry it with me on my rounds at Bakersfield.

What is the consensus on value of a Buckeye 03 ?

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 01:41 am:

Dick, there is a number of variables which effect the value of a Buckeye 03 jack. Some are;

How far from any help you might be if you don't have one.

How heavy the rain is falling.

How late you will be picking up your wife from her appointment.

How inquisitive the trooper is when he stops to see what is going on, given what you may have in the back.

How much longer you have to put up with the mother-in-law complaining about the delay.

I am sure others will help with suggestions.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 07:07 am:

If I am reading and understanding the information correctly,
I would hazard a guess that Ford had top boots available as an accessory purchase prior to 1913 manufacture date but only began to include them with the purchase of a car in 1913.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 10:47 am:

Ford included top boots with all open cars through 1922, and as an accessory in 26-7.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:13 am:

A little OT, but what is a Joey-Mell, some kind of exhaust whistle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:25 am:

I wondered about that too. The ad never says what it is. I guess you were supposed to know. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:37 am:

Found it, it is indeed an exhaust whistle, pretty pricey too:

joey-mell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:04 pm:

Dennis probably has it right. I will say that it is very dangerous research to assume artists renderings are anything necessarily accurate. The Torpedo artworks pictured in this thread appear to be just that - artists renderings. I have learned to beware any data taken from a picture unless there are also people in the picture. The reason that artworks from sales catalog ares suspect is that typically the catalog has to be out in the market circulating long before the car is. Thus the artists are shown what the car is "going to be" and draw it up accordingly. Some of the early Delivery Car artworks are miles off from what the car actually was built like. I don't present proof that Ford did anything in particular but I do stand by the letter having been found in the archives and it was directed to ALL dealers. At the time the artworks were made it is possible that Ford intended to provide boots for cars in 1912 but for some reason it got delayed. They didn't worry about the sales catalogs showing something that might not be exactly correct. Even today if you scour a car sales brochure you may find things in it that are not totally accurate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:08 pm:

Larry:

If you read the ad for the top boot for the 1911 it clearly says that the ORIGINALLY in their price list at $40 so clearly it was an extra cost item in 1911 but WAS available. The letter I referred to states that for 1913 the top boot and the jack was to be included as standard equipment. I wasn't there to witness anything so I can only tell you what is in the archives that I saw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:10 pm:

Larry:

If you read the ad for the top boot for the 1911 it clearly says that the ORIGINALLY in their price list at $40 so clearly it was an extra cost item in 1911 but WAS available. The letter I referred to states that for 1913 the top boot and the jack was to be included.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:18 pm:

John-
If you are referring to the ad that I posted above, it is for a replacement top, not top boot.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 12:30 am:

Here are some photos I took today of a jack that may have been used for the early T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 01:46 am:

Larry-
What is the No. ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 08:27 am:

John: Read the ad! $40 was for a complete top, not the boot! Keith, I'm off for Chickasha in a few minutes. Contact me next week, and I'll check the number for you.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration