Question: Ring Gear and Pinion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Question: Ring Gear and Pinion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 10:59 am:

I have a 26 Tudor and I am building a Ruckstell and need to purchase a new ring gear and pinion tomorrow. My question is what ratio would be best for me. I have plenty of power mostly drive on relative flat roads but plan on taking the South Carolina trip this year. I mostly drive in the 30 to 40 mile per hour range. Any advice on what you may think would be the best choice?
Thanks Chet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 11:09 am:

You have an enclosed car. I recommend standard gears 3.63 to 1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 12:25 pm:

Standard ratio would be best. Stay away from 3:1 gears, they are for speedsters.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 12:57 pm:

You might even go to a 10-tooth pinion gear to get a 4:1 ratio. That's not a bad ratio for a heavy car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 02:14 pm:

I think if you drive 30-40 mph, the standard gearing would be best. If you have a little lighter car, or an improved motor with a few more ponies, then you might consider a 12 tooth pinion giving a 3.25 ratio. This will give a little less rpm at cruising speed but also a little less braking. With a heavier car, I wouldn't consider it unless you had auxiliary brakes but that goes for any Ruckstell or auxilliary transmission vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 03:38 pm:

I have been on tour with the car Chester is talking about. His car would climb most hills (and there were big ones) in high as it runs VERY strong. I have a 3:1 in my touring and it still goes as well as many stock T's. I however had the grab the Ruxtell knob a time or two and his car likely wouldn't have had to.

Chester, talk to Lynn or Larry as they are both running 3:1. My car will cruise right along with them but I can tell you when you get behind a weak T and you have 3:1 you will be going into Ruxtell. I drop into Ruxtell around 25 MPH. I can also tell you with a heavier car if you are behind a stock T in low pedal you will likely be doing the same as torque falls off quickly.

Lastly I will offer this, don't even think of a Ruxtell or warford without upgrading the brakes. I would run disc over Rockies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 03:41 pm:

Noel, I have a very strong engine with all the extra's, z head, aluminum pistons, aluminum intake, oil slingers, 280 cam, disc brakes and more, I may take your advice and go with a 3.25 ratio. Thanks for all the input... Chet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

Gary, Thanks for chiming in...Lynn is helping me build the Ruckstell but he never would tell me which one to use...I thought I would get some more input before tomorrow.....Enjoyed seeing ya"ll at the Christmas Party.....Are you going on Lynn and Larry's tour? If so hope to see you there....
Chet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 05:22 pm:

I'm planning on it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration