Drive shaft front end bushig

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Drive shaft front end bushig
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 01:44 pm:

Hi All ; what is the best way to remove the babbit drive shaft bushing,Melting , or Pulling ??
Thanks in advance
Toon
1562R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 01:55 pm:

Pulling it out is best, but if you don't have any sort of puller, you can use a piece of 1" square tubing a drive it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 02:02 pm:

I use a piece of 1" pipe and drive it out from the other end. Works every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 04:37 pm:

Anthonie, unless they are worn awfully bad, I leave the Babbitt in there. I think it is a much better bearing if not worn out. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 05:02 pm:

Keith ; I have about 0.010 play now ,I think I leave the babbit in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Manlove on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

If you really need to get it out drop a bolt into it and use the driveshaft as a slide hammer. With a little heat it should pop right out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 07:45 pm:

Toon,

.010 play is too much. I would replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 10:42 am:

Hi All ; He is out [looks more as a she]
Thank you Toon
1563R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 08:08 am:

Another easy way to do this, if you don't have a pipe long enough to reach in there, take an old steering shaft, put a couple of thick washers the right size on the end of the shaft, tighten down with a nut, grind four nicks to clear the rivets, a couple taps with a hammer and its out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 10:53 am:

Thread drift!----- As heavy as the drive shaft is a small bend would throw it out of balance. How do you make it reasonably static balanced? Knife edge bearing surface to bearing surface?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration