Good and Average Hyatt Bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Good and Average Hyatt Bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 03:50 pm:

I am making progress on my 23 Coupe and for not being a car guy, I am quite proud of myself. I am in the process of re assembling the rear end. I want to keep the original hyatt bearings. A couple of them are average.... Not tight and have some wobble to them. Where is the best place to put them? Outer or inner bearings placement?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

How do they measure up and what do you mean by wobbly? Personally I would throw them in the garbage if the seem a bit worn. The rear end is no place to cut corners on. Good originals are available, and are typically not hard to find. Just my .02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 04:05 pm:

Rob is correct. Get good ones. I assume that by wobbly you mean loose cages. Again, get good ones. Don't try to eyeball them. Measure the rollers with a micrometer so you know what you have. Follow Glen's instructions in the MTFCA axle manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

I have created a group on Facebook. It is called: Grand Pa's Model T. I have posted a video of the Hyatt bearings.

I hope this link works: FB - Grand Pa's Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 06:19 pm:

What Steve and Rob Said. Loose cages can be tightened up, but the roller diameter is vital.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 06:25 pm:

I have measured all. Spec according to Chaffin is .500. I am measuring .494 consistently. Too much variance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 07:44 pm:

I would say you are good in measurement. A couple of pictures of what you mean by loose would be helpful if possible. I checked out your page, looks great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 08:35 pm:

Scott,

I would replace at least the two outer bearing with better ones. You can probably get by with the best two of your four on the inside. The inside carry little to no load, all the weight is on the outside. I have some to spare, feel free to email me at aloso@q.com for some help, we can discuss your ring and pinion issue as well.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 10:15 pm:

What does the surface look like? Is it spalled or distressed? Surface condition in my view is more important than diameter. I put the best parts in the inner position. You can replace the outer bearings and sleeves without dismantling the rear axle assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 10:35 pm:

I couldn't access your FB link, since I'm not a member. If the cages are loose, you can peen them to tighten them up. Others might disagree, but you can tighten them to make them work. The .494 measurement you are getting on the rollers is good enough.

You probably will get dissenting opinions from those who think a few thou deviation from the original spec is not acceptable, but Model T's will run for many more thousands of miles with bearings like yours and not hurt any other parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 10:38 pm:

Try this link. Scott has done a good job documenting the condition of his bearings. And, he's the future of our group (my wife will need people like him to show up at the estate sale :-) ).

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-prn2/v/t42.1790-2/1961739_10202835411237687 _752762902_n.mp4?oh=108b63fcdf1acb380bca5d3b078ea1a5&oe=53267B19

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 11:18 pm:

The bearings don't need to be tight. Model T axle housings are typically bent and the extra clearance is needed to allow free movement. It doesn't hurt a thing. Sometimes I think we worry too much about wear, clearances, etc. You should see how much clearances were built in to Perfecto parts. I heartily agree with Mike's statement "Model T's will run for many more thousands of miles with bearings like yours . . . ."
I once owned an original 1916 touring car, virtually untouched. It was from Sand Lake Michigan. Over the years grit had gotten in to the outer bearing area and the axle to bearing clearances were about 1/8". Never the less the rest of the rear end components were like new with very little wear and the car ran down the road smooth and quiet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 11:32 pm:

I agree with Mike and Richard, with only .006 wear, I would use new sleeves, and put the best of the bearings inside. Main thing is look at each individual bearing roller. Look for "spalling" of the surface, rust pits ect. Also look at the axle bearing surface. If they look OK Re-peen the cages to tighten the wobble, put it back together and enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 12:15 pm:

My recent diff rebuild used .498 diameter hyatts. Went together nicely with new sleeves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 12:35 pm:

Axel housing vary in diameter sometimes on the same housing inner or outer. What works on one rebuild might not work on the next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 01:01 pm:

Any of you guys tossing Hyatts because of loose cages or a few thousandths wear can toss them my way. I'll pay the shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 01:12 pm:

Have many nice ones more then I intend to use up needing new homes. Any thing to trade Hal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 04:59 pm:

I'll have to look Paul. I don't really NEED any, but I certainly don't want to see anyone just throwing them away because they are not PERFECT. I'll cut corners and make do with parts on my own stuff that a "Professional" can't risk his reputation on. Like I say, "They ain't Indy cars". They don't have to be perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 05:12 pm:

When I can work out using the sale adds with windows 8 I will advertise. Think I have fifty or so clean 2-4 thou under with tight cages

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 05:34 pm:

Good driveshaft Hyatts must be much more scarce? Out of ~8 I've found, only one was still good. The roller springs has a tendency to break in them too, makes a terrible mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 06:57 pm:

If they are worn you can use a thicker bearing sleeve. Some people even put shim stock in the housing to make the sleeve clearance tighter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 08:28 pm:

My opinion is Ford used some sort of adjustable tool to roll a ridge in a housing end.

If you look carefully at several housings you can see a circular ridge on a flat surface.

On the amount of cars built a sub contractor might have supplied sleeves a thou thin. Rather then junk them they likely would have been discounted. With the right tool the housing can be modified to a smaller diameter.

I clean the ends with a ground down wire wheel in an air grinder it makes it easy to see the metal with a rolled edge decreasing the diameter.

Roger, I found the same thing. Guess fun projects makes a great setup though.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration