OT - the mouse trap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - the mouse trap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 04:11 pm:

I dont recall who posted the instructions for the peanut butter on the can over the bucket full of antifreeze mouse trap but just wanted to say the darn thing works. I have one in the smoke house behind my house. The mouse population there probably goes back 100 years or so. I did not check the thing all winter. I pulled 22 out of it today.

I amusing the cheapest antifreeze one can buy and Jiffy smooth peanut butter. Seems to work.

Thanks to whoever came up with this idea!

PS - the cat is mad at me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 04:17 pm:

Steve,
Can you post the link, or explain that "better mousetrap"? Sounds like something I could use in my barn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 04:34 pm:

5 gallon paint bucket. cut a coat hanger wire to run across it. you will loop the ends under the bucket's handle to hold it in place. before mouthing the wire poke holes in the ends of a soda can and run the coat hanger wire through so it spins. affix to the bucket and coat it with peanut butter. put a gallon of antifreeze in the bucket. put a board up to the top of the bucket to serve as a ramp.

the mouse tries to get to the peanut butter but the can spins and dumps him in the antifreeze where he quickly drowns and is pickled. (no smell)

Rube Goldberg probably thought of this but dismissed it as too simple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 04:37 pm:

Be sure that none of your pets can get to it, antifreeze is deadly to them too. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 06:02 pm:

A good solution for mice & rats is a delightful snack mixture of uncooked oatmeal & cement powder.
Combined in the stomach with moisture, it makes for a "solid" meal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 07:56 pm:

If you have pets around it is safer to feed the rats & mice Coca Cola.
Rodents can't burp. It will bust their gut.
It will not harm cats & dogs, except to make them fat, ugly and lazy like humans get from drinking the stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 08:04 pm:

Aaron,
Hows about a O&C snack w/ a coke chaser?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 08:20 pm:

Steve,

That would be me--an exterminator for 20 years and 18 at Michigan State University. Glad it worked well for you but actually 22 over a winter is a little low in an out building!

Always make sure that no pets or children can be exposed to the antifreeze. I always say that it is better to use outside bait stations (locked) to reduce the breeding population before they can enter buildings. If you can find the original post I had told my uncle "in-law" about the bucket and can trap and he had caught 20 something in the garage in a couple of weeks and didn't even know he had a mouse problem.

Now everybody will jump in with their ideas of soap bars or dryer sheets to repel mice away...great idea if they want them to move into tool boxes or the house then later return to eat the soap and use the dryer sheets to nest in. You have killed 22 mice, half are female and the reduction is hundreds over the next year (or potentially thousands).

Exterminators like me don't repel pests to breed somewhere else, we kill off the breeding population. Good job!

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 09:36 pm:

5 Gallon mousetrap
http://fivegallonideas.com/bucket-mouse-trap/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 10:07 am:

Gophers especially love Oats & Cement :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 10:21 am:

If you go to your regular auto repair shop and tell them what you are doing I'll bet that they will give you some used antifreeze.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469 on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:08 am:

use the pink rv antifreeze if your dog is stupid enough to drink green auto anti freeze. I have never had a dog that drinks anti freeze. in fact my dog "Ruxstell" hangs out in the shop all the time and never drank oil, anti freeze or anything that didn't belong to her. I use the pink because straight water will freeze. you have t put enough fluid in the bucket to keep them from jumping out, and also keeps them from smelling after they have died. doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:20 am:

I understand doing whatever it takes to get rid of mice - but a few of these fall into the "cruel and unusual" category for me. Any animal, large or small, whether hunted or exterminated, should always be given the swiftest and least painful end possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:27 am:

My rat and mouse control is very simple. I just go to my local hardware store and buy some boxes of "D-Con".
D-Con comes in individual trays that you just set out in the outbuildings and even in the house as it is has no oder. When the mice eat it they leave the building looking for water and they are almost never found dead inside a building.
Now what is more simple than that and it is not that expensive and you do not have to handle those dead rats and mice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 12:02 pm:

My home has a fifty foot glass enclosed patio with a glass door. Living next to a swamp full of every critter you can think of and my small dogs on that patio daily I have found the best way to protect the dogs is a plastic crate with the handle, top, and sides with holes. A trap is put under the crate upside down. fire wood stored on the patio is put around and on top to keep the dogs out. Seven rats caught last week!
Rats like wood piles and cause lots of car damage eating wiring, crawling into air filter housing etc. Both me and my neighbor have spent several hundred fixing damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 12:04 pm:

Willie,

The operative word is almost - as in - "...almost never found dead inside a building..."

the problem is, they are not always found.
When one expires between ceiling and floor, or inside a wall cavity, it is impossible to find - but, boy, oh boy, the SMELL....
Honestly, no more D con for me in a residence.
True, the literature does say that they eat the stuff and then go outside looking for water - but - mine have somehow lost direction and could not find outside.
Traps for me, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 12:44 pm:

They don't just go outside, they go wherever their nest is to die. If that nest is inside, in the wall, or in the rafters, that is where they go to die.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 01:59 pm:

I guess my mice must be better trained. In the 30 plus years of using D-Con, I have only one die inside a wall. With those odds, I will continue using it.
It did take almost a month to get rid of all that smell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 03:53 pm:

Willie,

You might have a problem getting D-con in the future due to a change in federal law (FIFRA--federal insect, fungicide, rodenticide act). I believe D-con once sold out will no longer be available to the public as it is pellet bait and can be relocated by the rodent. This means that your tray of D-con can be emptied in a single night but not consumed and then you don't know where the animal stashed it. Also due to the new law the public will be required to purchase mouse and rat poison in 3.3lb quantities or greater. I use block bait in locked bait stations. The blocks are about the size of a flashlight battery and can't be dug out and moved like pellet bait.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 05:03 pm:

I wonder what rocket scientist thought that consumers should buy a minimum of 3.3 lb quantities. Any idea what the logic was behind that other than apparent gross stupidity?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 07:14 pm:

The thing about D-con and other poisons is,
you Kill the Rat,
you Kill the Bird that eats the Rat,
you Kill the Cat that eats the Bird that ate the Rat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 07:17 pm:

The thing about D-con and other Poisons is:
You Kill the Rat.
You Kill the Bird that eats the Rat.
You Kill the Cat that eats the Bird that ate the Rat.
:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 07:59 pm:

I thought there was a dead mouse in the house tonight. We had a problem a few years ago with mice. Using d-con they would get thirsty and go under the refrigerator for a drink from the defroster pan and die. You knew they were there by the smell.
I thought there was a dead mouse in the house tonight when I came in the back door to the kitchen. Turns out it was just my wife cooking corned beet and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day.
Don't pinch me. I'm not Irish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 08:04 pm:

Walt,

That is because govt. agencies are trying to keep the poison out of the hands of the public and limit it's use to a licensed applicator. Were you used to be able to buy a pack of 4 for a few dollars the bucket of bait will probably be 4lbs and cost $50 or more.

Back in "the day" you could go to the local hardware and buy a small bottle of chloridane or DDT and mix it yourself---half a tablespoon per gal. was what the label said but everybody thought 1/2 is good the whole bottle is better. Now go to the hardware store or box store and you buy RUP (ready to use product) where everything is pre mixed (like Ortho home defence, a really good product @ .06% bifenithin, a pyrethroid compound). All you can do is further dilute it and the mixing is not up to the consumer. This is all for public safety and to protect groundwater.

Mouse and rat poisons are very dangerous and yes there can be secondary effects on what eats the dead animal but hopefully the toxic compounds have been metabolized out. The early "mouse" bait was cumulative and required multiple feedings for a toxic dose as they were only anti-coagulants and the rodent might become sick and stop feeding and recover. Most compounds now are both anti-coagulants and also "ATP disrupters". They not only cause blood leakage but also interfere with the energy transport system in cells that allow flow of fluids. A single feeding is all that is needed for effect. The stated time is 3-5 days after exposure but I find as little as 24 hours.

In another 50 years we will again find that everything we are doing is foolish and dangerous. This weekend I was on a mouse job in a big farmhouse that is going to auction...in the attic I found a glass carbon tetrachloride fire extinguisher with a solder fused trigger. The daughter was with me and I told her this is dangerous and a very real hazard. She (55 year old) told me it had been there since she was a child and they used to play up there and bump their heads on it. I removed the glass "bomb" for disposal so that during the cleaning out of the attic nobody would break it and get a bath of an outdated chemical stew that can cause many problems. This was probably placed in the 1940's and the best idea then but when I saw it I was very concerned (OK, just about crapped my pants).

I collect old pesticides when I find them and take them to the University for disposal or to be used as standards for researchers. If I don't they go into general disposal, dumped on the ground or burned.

Back to my point; pellet bait is not good as you loose the "chain of custody" and the animal will relocate it to an unknown place before consumption. Now there is poison in some drawer or box where children or pets may become exposed. The best method is locked bait stations with block bait or conventional snap traps. Don't throw poison around where you now have no control of where it will be or what will be exposed.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 08:22 pm:

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/mice-and-rats/cancellation-process.html

regarding D-con

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 03:05 pm:

Problem is licensed applicators are very exspensive for a problem that has allways had a do it yourself solution.
Termite treatment,a bottle of cloridane and a sprayer and a few minutes, problem solved.Nowadays, a big truck with trained proffesionals and a signed contract costing 100's of dollars a year to solve the same problem.That is the biggest reason people complain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 03:47 pm:

Carbon Tetrachloride - brings back old memories from the late '60s when we had gallons of that stuff. It was supposed to be for the folks who maintained the generator sets at a Nike Hercules missile site. Those of us who pulled 24 hours shifts often found a few hours on weekends to do minor auto maintenance in the parking lot and that stuff worked great to cut grease and clean parts. Smelled pretty bad and tough on the hands, dried em out pretty bad. Never wore gloves back then. Good grief we did bad stuff between the chemicals we played with and blowing asbestos brake dust all over the place with no masks. I guess the pack and a half a day habit helped toughen our lungs for all the other abuse. Glad to have survived it and to have given up most of the bad habits anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 08:15 pm:

Ten years past my truck heater core started leaking in Portland. Picked up a new core there and decided to drive eighty five miles home on a cold day with the core dripping and my blower wide open. Ten miles from home I new some thing was wrong opened the windows and just made it home.
I could barely walk and could not dial a phone. Just then daughter came home after getting her license that day. They took me to emergency and no one would come out. Daughters boy friend helped me to the waiting room. Lady at the desk asked me to come to the desk. I said lady I CANT WALK!!They got me to a gurney and a doctor came. He asked me what the issue was told him it has to be the antifreeze. He said antifreeze is dangerous in a cut or ingested he called poison control They said the same thing After four hours on oxygen I could walk. Next day went to napa and read the warning labels A cut, ingested, OR INHALED. Pissed I took the antifreeze back to the hospital put it on the counter to show the lady what it said told her some one better tune up poison control Her answer was did I bring the gallon of antifreeze to show the doctor??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 10:08 pm:

doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469........animals drinking antifreeze has nothing to do with stupidity.
It has to do with taste.
Antifreeze is sweet to the taste.
As for rodent control I buy this by the bucket and NEVER have any problems in my 40 80 dirt floor shed.
I throw a chunk near the walls about every 12' maybe three times a year.
The stuff will take out errant gophers and chipmunks too.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/tomcat-all-weather-bait-chunx-4-lb-/000000000148 8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:15 am:

I've got a couple of tough cats, just little females (neutered) that seem to take on just about anything. The oldest, a calico presented my son with a couple young opossums just the other night. Three of her daughters lined up in the driveway last summer and charged a red fox and chased him off when they perceived him to be a threat to their kittens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 07:43 am:

I'm, with you, Walt. I realize some things are indeed hazardous, but most are not 'the sky is falling' kind of hazardous that many are BS'd into believing. When I was a kid, a nurse friend of the family gave me a small amount of mercury in a medicine bottle TO PLAY WITH! It was left over form filling her sphygmomanometer. She knew I wasn't going to drink it. She may have told me to wash my hands after playing with it, but I probably didn't. Nowadays, if someone drops a thermometer in the high school chemistry lab, they evacuate the whole damned building and call HazMat. Gimme a break!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 08:29 am:

Tim: for no particular reason clicked your profile, and wow, what a nice looking firetruck (and dog). What year/ make? ALF? Buffalo? I have a '25 TT/Pirsch still working on it. Mostly small stuff now, some engine work if it ever warms up!

the "other" Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 03:25 pm:

1917 ALF type 32. This is one of the few supplied by the US govt. to air fields and Navy as "crash trucks" (about 25 I believe). This one went to Seldfridge Air Base, at that time it was known as Mt Clemmons AFB.

The dog is named RAJO but he has been gone a few years now. He was an English Pointer--pretty like setters are but unfortunately had the same IQ.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration