OT - How many miles did they put on early cars?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - How many miles did they put on early cars?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 08:13 pm:

The following Ford advertising has owner testimonials about the number of miles they put on their Fords. I've also seen classified ads for used cars with more miles than I would have guessed considering the roads and service (or lack of):

Model K, 7,000 miles in one year and Model N, 8000 miles in less than a year:

Model T taxi, 4000 miles between Dec 1908 and April 1909:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 09:52 pm:

This 1909 Ford Times front page says a converted NRS has covered 40,000 miles of railroad track:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

All of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 11:18 pm:

Like today, I expect there was wide variation. Some people went on long trips, and others stayed close to home. A salesman would run up lots of miles, while a shopkeeper might walk a few blocks to work and only go for Sunday afternoon pleasure drives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 07:19 am:

I'm sure Pierce Arrow put on more miles and provided a better ride! :-)

(just thought I would beat someone else to the comment)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 07:28 am:

I think it depended where they lived. From what my mother tells me, my grandfather living in Detroit favored the Michigan Avenue street car for his early days at the Rouge and his car usually stayed in the garage. I do remember when he drove to work in the sixties, the Rouge emissions were very hard on his paint job.

However, my uncles told me grandpa enjoyed long trips to Florida via 25W and many trips into norther Michigan.

My grandmother never learned to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:49 am:

Also I think the daring of the individual plays into it. My great uncle was wounded three times at the Battle of the Somme. Survived. Spent the next number of years living it up, enjoying his second chance at life as it were. He ended up in California. Bought a second hand T and drove it to Great Village, Nova Scotia. I can't imagine these stories are rare!! What a hoot it must have been!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 12:23 pm:

You're onto something, Rob. It's how daring one is. Takes all kinds to make the world 'round, I guess. I enjoy T driving. I just don't have the time and money to do as much as I'd like. Given the time and money, I'd drive one cross country. I'm certainly not afraid to do it. Some, on the other hand, are afraid to go more than around the block.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration