26-27 Low or tall grill shell?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 26-27 Low or tall grill shell?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 09:33 am:

What's the difference and how can you tell what you have? I've searched around and in pics I can't seem to tell what is different? I'm guessing the rad would be different and have to match the shell as well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 10:38 am:

Low radiator would be 1923 or earlier. Here's where to measure.

This measurement on the low radiator is a little under 17". On high radiator it's a little over 18".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:19 am:

Did the 26-27 ever use a low radiator ?

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:29 am:

Bob,

No, the 26-27 cars were all high radiators. You can't just use a low radiator on a car built for a high radiator. The cowl and the hood won't match up.

Of course, you'll find cars and TT's with all kinds of weird "make do" stuff. My '18 TT had a high radiator when I got it. To compensate for the fact that it just didn't fit, whoever installed it nailed a wood strip on the top of the firewall under the hood so it would look level and folded the hood side panels up under the top so the fact that they were too short would not be a problem. It ran fine and nobody cared....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 06:18 pm:

Robert, there are a couple of other indicators to differentiate between the two types of shells. In my experience, the sides of high radiator shells are flared out so that they follow the line of the tapering hood as it widens toward the rear of the car. The low shells have squared up sides. They are parallel to each other.

If the aprons are intact, the low shell has a simple strip about 35mm wide across the bottom while the high shell will have an apron which covers up the front chassis cross member.

They can be used in the wrong context. See Henry's post. On my brother-in-law's 1925 car a low radiator was installed by sitting the radiator on blocks of wood on the frame rail to lift it up to the height of the correct tall radiator.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 06:34 pm:

Great that clears things up nicely! I had no idea it was year specific, because I would read things on the 26-27's (what I'm working on) and I would here Both high and low mentioned, but the 26-27 grill shells always looked the same.

So now I know I have a High radiator so High grill shell. Nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 08:22 pm:

Robert
You have mentioned that you need a new rad shell for this car. And of course it needs to say "Made in Canada". Here are a couple of options.
1. Check with "George Moir Antique Auto parts". He is a full stocking supplier of parts for the T on up located by Edmonton. In the past he has had new rad shells with the made in Canada.
2. First Friday and Saturday in May is the Red Deer swap meet at Red Deer Alberta. I believe it is the biggest swap meet in western Canada

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 08:53 am:

Thanks for the info Les!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 03:25 pm:

Looks like my best bet will be to find a 26-27 Steel grill shell and have it plated.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration