Coils

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Coils
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eugene story on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 02:31 pm:

how do you test a coil to see if it is worth putting in capacitors and new points?

gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 02:58 pm:

Gene,
Here is a good thread on your question:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/351270.html?1364507902

You can do some ohm readings to get an idea but the real proof is to test it with good points either with or without a new capacitor. Internal high voltage checks are are hard to test for and may not show up right away. You can install a condenser and test the coil before potting and closing up the box.

Found with a google search of this site for coil rebuilding.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 03:00 pm:

Measure the high voltage winding resistance across the two terminals that are on the long side of the coil. You should read about 3300 Ohms.

If that is good then replace the points and condenser.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 03:01 pm:

Dang fast typers :-( :-(

Be_Zero_Be :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 03:39 pm:

Capacitors there's no question in my book.
Replace them. Points can on occasion be re-used. Depends on the contact condition & cushion spring mostly. I've re-used decent point sets often. Usually I'll try to get a coil to work before any "surgery" but if it works it's only a candidate for a new cap. I use a toy train transformers AC accessory terminals to check them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 08:38 am:

I was going to put a coil in my suitcase to take to Chickasha, and then I thought, no, those airport goons would go crazy, and probably think I was going to try to blow up the plane, so the coil is staying home, and I'll have to pay $12 to ship it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 10:24 am:

Larry, I would take an old, unrestored coil. Let the airport goons do all the digging to get the tar out. Then it will be ready for new capacitors.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 06:07 pm:

Larry, Good move. A few years ago we were driving a T from Canada back into the US. The border patrols noticed a couple spare coils I had in the back seat, and became interested very fast and none to friendly. I explained what they were and even took the top of the coil box off so they could see what they actually were. They finally decided a couple driving along in a Model T was not a threat to national security, and let us through.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration