Displacement and Horsepower - With/Without RAJO head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Displacement and Horsepower - With/Without RAJO head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 04:32 pm:

Getting insurance forms completed for Hagerty. They require displacement and horsepower measurements, which I have no idea about either one, really. I've read other threads, but need a little help. Even a ballpark estimate would be fine, I'm sure.

The engine is a stock 1919 block with generator and starter mounting capability. Engine modifications include a RAJO model 30 head, aluminum pistons, stock cam and crankshaft, a Stromberg carb, magneto has been removed, and it has a Delco distributor.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 05:00 pm:

Displacement would be normal for a T (type of head having no effect) so 177 cubic inches. OK, maybe a few more if it has been bored out but that's close enough for your insurance company.

Horsepower is a guess but not astounding with the model 30 head, stock cam and pistons. I'd guesstimate 30 HP, maybe a little more but not much. It should be a real nice touring combination but not a real barn burner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 05:18 pm:

Thanks, Walt. Much appreciated.

FWIW, My dad claimed to have been clocked at 80 mph in 1955 with the same set-up. That was before the engine rebuild in 1980!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 05:26 pm:

Dave,

Certainly possible with a real light body and no fenders blocking the wind. Get the right gearing and be willing to pull both ears all the way down and it could get some real speed. No way I would do that with anything resembling stock brakes, steering and suspension though. The way it shows in your profile (assuming the same car) it would scare the heck out me at anything near that speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 07:28 pm:

Or as Ralph Nader would say, "Unsafe at any speed." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 08:45 am:

Walt & Mike - Agreed! It does have stock (4:1) steering, with the column flipped upside down to lower the angle, and the lined brake shoes in the rear. No auxiliary brakes (yet), and stock suspension. Dad was young and immortal when he ran it that fast in the 50s. I'm near 50 and know better!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration