OT 27 Chevy Timing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT 27 Chevy Timing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlesHebert on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 08:28 pm:

Working on timing for a 27 Chevy motor. Motor was recently rebuilt with new cam. The book says to line up the marks on the cam and the crank gear with the number one piston at TDC. Problem is: the marks don't line up on one but on three. Can move the crank gear but can't the cam because of the drift key. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 09:20 pm:

Try the Chevy VCCA Chat.
http://vcca.org/forum/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 10:59 pm:

If both gears are marked I can't see what difference it makes where anything is.
Line 'em up, slip the gear in place and see how the valves act.
If there was an idler gear in the train that could complicate things........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Harold - Noblesville, IN on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:59 pm:

The '27 Chevrolet is a bit different concerning timing. I suggest you contact John Lee at jnolee@aol.com. He has a '27 and has been through the timing business. The marks are not correct on the flywheel as I remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlesHebert on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 08:22 pm:

Got it running. the punch marks on the cam gear and the crank gear are wrong. Went back to the old fashion way. Took number one to TDC and then timed the valves at TDC. Fired off after about three adjustments to the crank gear. So why would Chevrolet knowingly mark the gears incorrectly in the first place? Would have been better not to mark them at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Harold - Noblesville, IN on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 08:43 pm:

Why did I say flywheel gear in my earlier message? I meant cam and crank gears. Getting to be 80 years old is not as much fun as I thought it would be. Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 09:49 pm:

Good for you Charles...... :-)
I quit trust factory timing marks years ago when I built my 18-36 Hart Parr.
I didn't realize the marks were off until I put the tractor on a dyno and came up 10 HP shy of where it should have been.
I timed it "by the book" and discovered the cam gear was two teeth late.
That was the last time I trusted factory marks and did them all "our" way.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration