Repop 1910 tourabout front axle that broke last year.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Repop 1910 tourabout front axle that broke last year.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 10:23 pm:

I would like information on the green tourabout that was wrecked from the repo front axle breakage. It seemed that the ends broke off of this axle. I would like to know why if possible. You could pm me also if you'd NOT want this to be on the forum. I have a couple of these axles made by a former member and need information. There were also ends made by 2 other people to weld onto a later axle by the customer. I need information before I put any of my axles into service. Heat treatment and also the way these ends were attached is of UTMOST importance. Type of metal they were poured with, the type of filler metal and also the method of joinery are all very important. I would like to talk to this person please.
Joe in Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 06:36 am:

Here are a couple of threads where welded front axles were discussed:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/283967.html?1335373120 (about the Tourabout accident in 2012)
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/79793.html?1233325471 (2009)

Welded axles can be strong enough of the welder knows what he is doing. Unfortunately someone who welded the Tourabout wasn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 09:33 am:

Heres a real one that just sold on tbay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Piece-Spindle-Front-Axle-Brass-Era-Model-T-Ford-1909 -1910-1911-/371016875704?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=ite m5662543eb8&nma=true&si=Z7x8QrWA6uH1SP9z3L9upqHr23I%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_t rksid=p2047675.l2557

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:52 pm:

Wow you guys go off on tangents!!! I read the discussions and thanks Karlsson very much for those two discussion threads. You ALL have missed a lot of history it seems. And you are the T experts. Don't get me wrong there are many of you who are GOOD at what some of you do!!!
The axles were first made by a club member in Provo Utah in the 60's and 70's. The one piece pans were done in California. Radiators there too. I have their names in my paperwork from back then but not important here and now. I have used several of their products. They are good and hold up!!!!! Are on several of you all's T's I am sure somewhere.
Next Earnie Brown made them in Antlers Okla. 80's They ARE NOT cast iron!!!! That's silly! Crazy actually!
After BOTH guys died then Glen bought out the rights and the patterns.
If these are installed properly on a true vanadium axle then all should go well unless you are going to go 4 whellin!
The weld joint that was posted on that thread shows a weld that is narrow. I would not trust that weld. It should have been taper cut and root welded keeping it hot then pad welded or submerged arc then ground back down. X rayed for flaws.
I guess most of you all never worked in a professional shop. You are quick with the negative comments too it seems. They are T's not dragsters! We have welded up front axles and heat dropped the axles going under race cars and dragsters for 35 years. Those axles still bring a good price today even though they are old. I use to pull the wheels in the 60's on some of my cars. Check the HAMB. I wanted to hear from those who drove their early reproduction axles and NOT from those with just an opinion. You all act like there are still lots of early axles out there. NOPE! I have diligently looked for 35 years now. Now if you are RICH then yeah maybe you could snag one. I have been building cars ever since 1961. I have seen it all. I lot of trash and a lot of well engineered replacements. I would still like to hear from those who have driven either Earny Brown's or the fella from Provo Utah's axles. PM me please!!
I have never known Glen to shaft someone. I did a few bodies for him years ago. With Glen you knew what you were getting. He was not an engineer but a good guy. That is all I know.
I am NOT a know-it-all but quit trying to tell me the basic stuff about Ford and his T's. Yes I want a specific question answered on the forum. I made a study on Ford starting in the 60's. Been thru the Rotunda, Greenfield V., through the archives, in the new design studios, working with Chevant clay, on the test track out back of the Ford plant, been in the sign offs for the 3 year manufacturing on some of the new vehicles, ate on top of Henry's Pool at Fairlane, been thru the old historic plant too. Of course I did it w/o any T's or other cars to show. I need help when I ask questions and not bloated WAGS comments. An engineer tries to keep WAGs comments out of the mix when trying to solve problems. Unless we have been in the discussion for a while and are tired then a good laugh is a welcomed sigh of relief. Those of you who respond to my questions I thank you!
Joe in Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 10:06 pm:

One more comment...
You ALWAYS jig anything you are precision welding!!!
The jig is first made and checked by several parts that are original or by precise layout and rechecking. Heat stress relieving when necessary. My question was...
Who owned the 10 T tourabout GREEN that broke the one piece axle and where did it come from. Again I say to you that there were some ends that were from the pour and were not separated when they got out. May have been a proof and not even the original pour. I have found one of those and have it in my shop! So it is possible that someone welded up that axle not knowing how to do it properly. No, I do not know who made any of their pours.
I just wanted to know is all so I can figure out what to do with what I have.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration