First joy ride

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: First joy ride
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 03:29 pm:

O.k., it's a sunny day here in south-east Michigan but the temperature is 39 degrees, so I decided it was high time to pull the T out of slumber and take a spin. I cleaned and lubed all the spark/coil connections, turned the gas on at the tank and carb, put the fully charged battery in, pulled the rag out of the exhaust, lowered the car off the jacks and aired up all the tires. After choking the car and adjusting the mixture, she fired up on the first pull!! Man, was it great to heat the purr of that old T motor again! Starting it wasn't enough, so I put on a heavier coat, put my cell phone in my pocket and off I went. Just a quick run down the road and back and I was having a great time. However, half way there my forward top iron came out of the socket and started to cave in on me. Then I realized that last year, I had taken the leather straped pins out of the current sockets and put them on the correct 1916 oval sockets I bought over the winter. I am planning on switching the irons out this spring when the weather got nicer but forgot that the current irons on the car were without pins!!! Man, did I have a HARD time keeping the top from completely falling in on me. Mind, the speed limit on my road is 55 MPH and only two lanes, so with one hand on the left iron and the other trying to desperately steer the car, I slowly made it back to my house. What a dummy, but I'll always remember the first joy ride of 2014!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 07:36 pm:

So how's the hunt for your '14 coming? Great you got a good first ride in. I got mine on that one rare warm day last week to go check on my fellow T-er friends house who's enjoying the warmth of Florida, however without his T. Hmmmm....seems pointless! Even made a couple of short videos from my smartphone to watch while being holed up again in this never-ending winter!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 08:11 pm:

Tim - thanks for asking. I've actually put a deposit down on that '14 I thought got away in Wisconsin. Turns out the other buyer got cold feet so the seller asked if I were still interested. I can't go get the car until after April 16 (the seller prepares taxes) so I have to cool my heels for a while, but I did send him a deposit and a purchase agreement, which we both signed. The car is pretty nice but also comes with a lot of extra brass era T parts including a complete set of brass and black lamps and two sets of wood felloe wheels. I didn't want to post anything too soon, since I technically don't own or have the car yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 07:39 pm:

Bill..sounds great! Can't wait to see pics of it when you get it home. Lets see now, two down, two to go!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration