Front Axle-Zachary Dillinger

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Front Axle-Zachary Dillinger
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 04:51 pm:

Zachary, I sent you a PM with a method for removing the perches. Let me know if you got it and how it turns out. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 04:56 pm:

Dave, I just got it and I just responded. Thanks for helping me out! I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Zach

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 05:37 pm:

You are very welcome. I ain't vury smart, but I have larned a few things over the years. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 10:15 pm:

I also sent some ideas. Hope one of them works out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 08:15 am:

Mark, I appreciate your help as well. I've got one more tactic to use, and after that I'll just put this one on the wall and pick up another. Its too close to spring to monkey around with this thing too much more. I want to drive my car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 01:15 am:

Zachary, have you had any luck yet? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 09:44 am:

Dave, I haven't had a chance to get back into the shop to try the drill-out method. My father in law did spend a little more time with the axle last night but made no progress. I need to get over to his house and grab it back from him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 08:37 am:

Dave,

I got my axle back and was able to drill out one of them. I couldn't find my good set of drill bits (a recent shop move), so I was stuck with just a handful of 3/16" bits. I drilled as many holes as I could around the perimeter of the cut off perch. A few blows with a 3 pound sledge and drift and it kind of just fell out! The other one hasn't been so easy, but I'm going to stop and get some fresh, larger, bits and give it another go tonight.

Thanks again guys.

Zach

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 08:18 am:

All,

Just a final update. I managed to drill out the other perch as well! I had to get some new drill bits (which I needed anyway), jigged the axle up nice and square to the bit and worked my way up to 1/2" hole through the perch.

I suppose the heat and vibration from the drill helped loosen things up, because I was able to drive out the perches with a 3lb sledge and a drift. The second one went hard at first, moving almost imperceptibly with every 5 or 10 sledge blows. I kept putting acetone / ATF on it each time it moved, then walked away for 10 minutes. Rinse, cycle, repeat until it started really moving, at which point it just kind of plopped out the top.

Thanks everyone for their advise and help in saving my axle. Now I just need new perches, new bushings all around, a new wishbone, a little paint, and I'll be ready to take the first spring drive once the snow disappears.

Zach

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 08:21 am:

Glad you were successful Zach! Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration