Special privalage for a Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Special privalage for a Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 09:18 pm:

I have been driving up to Estes Park lately. There is still a lot of rebuilding of the highway to Estes which was damaged from the September flood. This mean a lot of stops on the way up. Some on 34 are 30 minutes.

I always try to pull over on the shoulder and when the traffic is allowed to go up I like to bring up the rear so I won't have anyone behind me when the traffic is allowed to go again

besides flagger

Sometimes the line can get very long.

long line

Here are some equipment removing rocks from where the cliff

rocks below cliff

In this picture you see a wheel and tire. I don't know ehere they all come from. There was a pile of them 3 feet tall and 10 feet long on the Little Thompson River below my place.

wheel

When I came to the first stop last Monday I turned my T off and waited. When the traffic started up again I was cranking my T up ready to go. A forman walked over and said don't wast your energy we are setting it up so you can go all the way up to Estes without stopping. In about 10 or so minutes he gave me a go ahead. I drove all the way to Estes past everyone else. The heavy equipment was even waiting for me. I felt quilty because I had been pretty well keeping up with the rest of the traffic before the first stop. Anyway it really felt good to sail along past all the stops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 09:23 pm:

I learned the hard way that in a Model T you should always have someone behind you, the bigger the better. Being last in line could have been fatal for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

That's a great story.

Can you try re-posting the photos? They aren't showing up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 09:57 pm:

I finally figured out how to do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 09:59 pm:

Andrew:

Try the pictures again they are showing up on my computer. I am going to try and post another picture of a really long line that I could not find again. By the way wait time is 3 hours on Highway 36. They are blasting miles of new road in sold rock cliffs so it wont all be washed away the next flood. I have been staying away from 36 except once and my waits were not the bad. This picture was the first stop I got in last Monday. It was only 20 minutes.

long line

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 10:04 pm:

The area in the picture above is where I took the picture of the tire and wheel. They are all up and down the river. The next stop is where they cleared the road about 15 miles so I could go straight to Estes without stopping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

Ok, I can see the photos now.

That must have been a great feeling passing all those modern cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:49 am:

Andrew:

;The strange feeling was passing all the heavy construction equipment waiting for me to pass. They must not have minded because every single one smiled and waived. I stopped in Drake to talk with about 8 of the workers to see if I could get up the Glen Haven Road to Estes. The advised against it because it is still washed pretty bad from the September Flood and the Town is pretty well gone. The General Store was damaged pretty bad and that is where I like to stop for cinnamon roles. I heard somewhere that the owner plans to repair the building but I wonder if it will be ready to go this summer and fall. The Town hall washed right up against the General Store. I would think that the 18% road to Estes above Glen Haven is OK because it was not near the creek. One T guy had planned to do the 18% grade this fall. The road from Drake to Glen Haven was about 4 or 5 feet from the creek that is why so much washed out most of the way. After I talked with the road crew I continued on up 34 to Estes.

equipment

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:52 am:

I meant to say that there was a picture on the computer that showed a large trout swimming down the main street of Glen Haven

equipment

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:58 am:

I really enjoyed the National Model T tour in Estes park several years ago. Seen a lot of Elk in town and on the Golf course. Going up trail ridge (Both Sides) was a thrill. I worked with Kirk Davis who's family was from Berthoud. His brother "Larry" works for the telephone co. and lives in Lyons which was badly washed out. He came over to the RV park that we stayed in...enjoyed our visit. I think his mother still lives in Greenly.
I put in a 280 cam just before the tour and was very pleased on how strong our 13 T touring pulled up trail ridge and surrounding hills.

The Ruckstell and Rocky mountain brakes got a work out on that tour.

Touring does not get any better compared to Estes Park. Enjoyed seeing Con Fletcher's car collection in Golden. Thank you for posting pictures, brings back fond memories of a wonderful tour.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration