Brass polish

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Brass polish
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 08:18 am:

I am interested in recommendations for brass polish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 08:20 am:

I use blue-something or other...cripes my mind's going!! It's sold at all auto stores. Works well. Easy to apply and rub off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 08:28 am:

Thanks I just googled blue-something or other and got a site called backyard chicken, maybe it is made from the droppings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 08:36 am:

can't go wrong with Brasso- but for the really fine polish, I use Simichrome. It's expensive, but the best stuff. I used to sell tons of it at the antique mall I worked at and it could turn the greenest junk into new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 09:12 am:

Thanks Brian, seems same company that makes Siomichrome also makes a product called Blue away which is probably what Tim referring to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 10:55 am:

Blue Magic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Cunningham on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 10:58 am:

Blue Away is used on chrome pipes that have turned blue from heat...Not that good on removing the blue...Simichrome is the best...IMO..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:13 pm:

I think Tim is referring to blue magic http://www.zorotools.com/g/00064164/k-G0778653?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_me dium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CIfQvI6Mn70CFTIV7AodSH4A4w

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:38 pm:

You could have asked which Brand of Oil..

I have found that the easiest and fastest polish to use on T brass that hasn't been polished in several months is a product made by Carroll of Olde Tyme Productsa in Garland, Tx. It's called Brite Boy Metal Polish. I buy it in a gallon container from a janitorial type supply house.

It gives a nice quick easy shine but but doesn't have that deep luster or have any protective.

After using the Brite Boy I go over with the Mothers Billet Polish which gives a better shine and also has a protection to keep the shine much better than other polishes I've tried.

It's worth the effort to make some covers for your brass when sitting in the garage especially if your in an area close to the ocean like we are here in Surf City.

The guys at Brassworks use a polish called Blue Magic or Lustre which I have used but the Mothers Billet lasts a lot longer especially when you get rained on while on tours like we Always do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 02:13 pm:

I like Wenol red tube for first cleaning, blue tube for finish and sustainability . Works great... T-bay cheapest place I've found it, with free shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 05:06 pm:

Me Too!I bought the large can years ago and i have not used any blue?Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 07:36 pm:

Thanks guys!!!...G.R. & Tom....yep, BLUE MAGIC!!! Cripes been bugging me all day and no time to go look for the jar. Jerry I hope I didn't send you on a wild goose (or chicken) chase!! Just couldn't remember the words! It's good stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

I've used everything; Brasso, Simichrome, Cape Cod, Mother's, Nevr-Dull, etc. Each will get the job done eventually, and each either smells awful, is flammable, is an eye-irritant, or is in one way or another, toxic.

Now listen up, 'cause this is one of the few times the know-nothing-newbie actually knows what he's talking about:

http://www.prismpolish.com/prismpolish.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQWzJFWhlKI

Use this stuff—get the paste, not the liquid. It's inexpensive ($16 for a 7 ounce tub that will last practically forever), non-toxic, doesn't stink and works a thousand times faster than anything else I've ever used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 12:14 am:

I've commented on this several times but in the interest of boring newer readers I'll do it again. I only have the radiator to polish since I took all of the brass on my 13 (which includes 1910 lights that look so nice on the car that I don't want to change to the black and brass that were original) to a pro to polish and coat with band instrument lacquer. The brass when coated will last for 20 yrs (maybe 15 but at 71 I won't care too much when I'm 86) and I won't have to polish anything but the radiator. So much more time left to enjoy driving the car!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 12:20 am:

I forgot to add that I have about 90% of a can of TARNITE left that aught to last for a long time if I only have the radiator to polish. For those who never used or heard of TARNITE, it is not available anymore and I suspect that the EPA had something to do with it either because of what is in it or too much regulation in the manufacturing process. I suspect the latter!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 07:13 am:

Thanks to all who responded !
Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 08:40 am:

http://www.brassauto.com/Moon%20Shine.html

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration