Camshaft Bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Camshaft Bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hughes on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 08:52 am:

Hello all, simple newbie question. How do i split the camshaft bearings for installation? I know I am over thinking this so its just easier to ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 09:05 am:

Yes, but do so in a way you don't change the dimensions. If you do a search you'll find some photos of jigs others have made to restore the shape after splitting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hughes on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 09:26 am:

So basically its a simple as cutting it in half? With...a hacksaw, cutting disc, dremel tool?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 09:34 am:

They should already be split however they may have a snap ring on them holding them together. Remove the ring, install the bearing on the cam and reinstall the snap ring. G

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hughes on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 09:50 am:

The bearings that I have are not split. These are new old stock. They appear to be brand new and never installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 10:38 am:

Are you sure the ones you have are Model T? Here's how they look in the Ford parts book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 10:52 am:

Never split the bearings with a saw, dremel, etc, as you will loose some of the circumference. You need jagged edges that mate together to hold the bearing in place. Age old method is split them with a hammer and chisel. Try inserting a 3/4" rod into the bearing to keep the shape as best you can. You really need to do the search I suggested to find a more in depth discussion of the procedure, risks and photos of the jigs I spoke of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 10:55 am:

Look at the Ford service book, if it's old originals they were delivered unsplit. They're made of cast iron that is kind of brittle, so the instructions says to split them with a hammer and a chisel. They will split along the lines cast in them so they can be mounted on the camshaft and secured by the spring clip and finally the set screws when the cam is back in place.

Rebabbited old cam bearings from the vendors are already split, NOS bearings are rare and the risk of distorting them when chiseling should be considered.. A sharp chisel and a good hard workbench or anvil should minimize the risk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 11:02 am:

I would think that if the bearings need to be split you would do it like you were splitting wood, from the end not the side. I would use something wide enough to do both sides at once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:52 pm:

If you do it that way Mark, you will bust the casting hitting it from the end!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:07 pm:

May be nicer to keep them as a conversation piece and buy some new ones from the vendors that are pre-split. If the originals you have get damaged in the attempt, you will be buying new ones anyway and the originals will be no good. Or try it and see what happens.

As I understand it (never tried this) the chisel is put into the cast V along the side and smacked with a hammer to break in half. Thus the halves will fit perfectly only with each other. Let us know what the end results are either way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hughes on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

Here are some pictures. Based on what yall are telling me these are NOS. bearings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hughes on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:53 pm:

Now that you see them is there anything you can tell me about them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 02:28 pm:

Take a chisel and split 'em.
One good rap with a hammer ought to do the trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 03:12 pm:

Those were made by one if the venders.

They are not made by Ford.

They were left to thick, where you have to break them apart, also the only thing holding the babbitt in is those two holes with the babbitt in them, the best thing to do with those is throw them away.

By the time you get them apart, the babbitt at the part lines will come away from the part lines, and put pressure on the cam, and will break up in use even if you could get them to fit.

The cores did not have anchor grooves in them, the two holes does NOT keep the babbitt tight and round!

What is there, does not work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hughes on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 03:36 pm:

They are going in the look but do not use pile!! Thanks for the information.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration