Floor boards

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Floor boards
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 10:42 am:

Hi guys,

My front floor boards keep rattling around and keep collapsing down on each other. What solutions have you guys devised to keep these old boards in place ?

Thanks for the help!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 10:55 am:

You can tack wood shims along the left and right edges of the floorboards to eliminate side to side movement.

If you require very thin shims, they can be made from tongue depressors or popsicle sticks. They're available at the craft store.

In Tinkerin' Tips, Tec Aschmann recommended using bow-tie screen/storm window clips to hold down floorboards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:31 pm:

"keep collapsing down on each other"

I had the same problem and discovered that my floor boards were too small. I do not know if they shrunk with age or what but I used them as patterns and cut new ones (added 1/4" all the way around) out of 3/4" plywood that I had laying around. Now they fit nicely but are still small enough to be removed easily.

Problem solved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:42 pm:

Depending on what year some cars have clips to hold the floor boards in place, 26 & 27 I believe.

More on these at:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/383935.html?1377601830

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:43 pm:

You can put a lip/flange on the lower edge of the upper board. I also found the heavy rubber Ford mat I got from the vendors helps hold them still. Bottom line is the better they fit, the less they can wiggle around and dislodge themselves. A bit of time spent custom fitting the boards to your specific car will be time well spent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:56 pm:

On the early cars the bodies shift so much that keeping the floor boards in place is almost impossible. I added a strip to the bottom of the top board that slips under the lower board and keeps them in place. I did the same thing where the second board meets the flat floor board. The boards come out easily for service and stay in place when driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:56 pm:

I made these from 5/8" Poplar using the cheap replacement plywood that was there for a kind of template. Made all slightly larger then cut & fit & repeat. The fit is beyond belief and their sturdy as hell. Of course you probably couldn't use then in another car. The fit's that good. Used a router & a table saw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:32 pm:

Another trick that I have used (I think it came from Tinkerin Tips) is to use a small hinge on either side of the floor, one tag being on one board and the other mounted on the opposite board, having a removable center pin to be able to "un-hinge" the hinge to remove the boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 06:28 pm:

I just purchased a 1924 Tudor that I believe is original and it has tongue and groove boards that are about 3" wide which are held in by 1"X 1/2" metal pieces screwed to the side so they keep the wood from sliding. Will try to get some pictures.
Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 06:48 pm:

great tips guys! Thanks! I love the idea of the hinges with the removable pins

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 10:43 pm:

I've occasionally drilled a small hole through the wood and metal near the ends of the middle board and put a black screw through the wood into the metal. The mat covers it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration