Old Photo - Funky Model T Tractor Perversion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Funky Model T Tractor Perversion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 11:33 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 11:40 am:

Looks like a Fond Du Lac conversion by the gear inside the rear wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 11:57 am:

Ran when parked! The did a very nice job on this one. I would love to have it. looks like gas, oil, water, coil box/coils and steering wheel rim and you would be good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Scott Owens on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:50 pm:

Needs a water pump. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 02:41 pm:

So you have to be a pervert to mess around with these rigs?
I guess I've been called worse!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 03:14 pm:

In the early 90's my old buddy and I went over to Maryville MO. to visit with an old retired mechanic that had a few T's and stuff. He showed us a T conversion tractor that he said was made in Maryville. We didn't think to take a camera with us so I don't have any pictures(still kicking my butt). A few years later he passed away and we went to his estate sale, camera in hand. The tractor was not there, apparently he had sold it previously. What I'm getting to is, has anybody else heard of or seen one of these? I have no idea if they had a name plate or any other ID. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 04:55 pm:

Me too Bob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 09:06 pm:

Several brands of T tractor conversion used a gear inside the wheel. This one's a Pull Ford conversion seen at Chickasha today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 09:28 pm:

I don't think that it was a perversion. More like a necessity. When in high school my friends were into old cars. I went with my buddy Mike with some older, in their 20's, guys up to a farm that was a home stead around the time of the curved dash Old's. It was up in the high desert NE of Mojave California. The owner a silent key had driven a curved dash across the desert from Los Angeles. I think that from necessity he had converted all of his cars over the years to tractors. The curved dash Olds tractor and all those following were still there. Some one had stolen the radiator from the Old's but the rest was still there. The reason that we were there was to look at a Knox (tractor) that one of the adults was interested in. Mike and I dug through the dump to see if we could find anything of use.
This gentleman had converted his curved dash to be used as a tractor long before Henry Ford had become interested in the idea.
Also found on the 160 acres was a room in the house dedicated to making eye glasses for himself I would guess and in an out building a generator powered by an early Dodge Brothers four cylinder engine used to charge batteries for the farm electrical system.
Times were different then and not as easy as some of us have it now. The farm was like an oasis in the desert with lots of trees. They had put a lot of effort into making it a home and I am still impressed.
I only wish that I could have met him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 09:44 pm:

The tractor is neat. I'm curious about the log structure and the 2 guys in the background. The structure doesn't appear to be meant to be a building or their plans for chinking would have to be fairly aggressive. However I'm not anywhere near an expert on log buildings so maybe what they're building maybe a design I wouldn't recognize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 12:45 am:

I like the "Armstrong" method of steering. NO rim. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim york on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 11:57 pm:

Great picture Jay and thanks for posting it. The front wheels are spindle mount and don't bolt to the T wheel hub. If the gear is a one piece gear in the rear wheel then it isn't a Fon Da Lac, theres had a 9 segment gear. The Montgomery Ward used one piece gear and there were probably others. The Fon Da Lac and 30-31 Montgomery Ward used the roller sprocket , 5 or 6 rollers. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 07:20 am:

Great pictures and information about early tractors.

Mike,
I think the log structure in the back ground is a river ferry. If you look at the right of the picture it looks like a fast flowing river and they are pulled into an inlet. Possibly to deliver that tractor?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration