Drive Shaft bushing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Drive Shaft bushing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 11:57 am:

Just installed a new bronze drive shaft buching and having trouble getting the new shaft to go through. I cant find anything in my manual about reaming the bushing....is this a normal problem or should it be a slip-fit ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:40 pm:

Usually a bushing shrinks when it's driven into a press fit location. Did it fit the drive shaft before you pressed it in?
If so you don't have to buy an expensive reamer for a one of job - you can just drive the bushing out again and make some holder out of screws and washers so you can mount the bushing in a drill press and take down the outer diameter some with a file or / and sand paper - that's if you don't have any lathe.

Then when the bushing is a slip fit in the driveshaft housing, you can glue it in place with your favorite epoxi with the drive shaft as a guide :-)
(Just be sure to drill the grease hole in the bushing too)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:45 pm:

There is another reason to give the bushing a slip fit, that's so you can test fit the axial play in the drive shaft with the u-joint in place, if there isn't any play or if it's too small, the bushing can be removed for easier adjustment of the thrust lip end. Another expensive reamer you don't have to buy :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:48 pm:

It should be a tight fit in the housing and often require a bit of reaming to get the correct fit on the drive shaft both the bushing hole and the shoulder thrust surface (that sets the endplay for the pinion gear on the other end).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:50 pm:

Roger and I typing together. Two different ways to go. I am a member of our local club that has all the tools to perform this kind of job so that is lucky for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:28 pm:

It fits the housing snug...that part is fine....its the ID thats to snug for the shaft to pass through. I didnt try the bushing-shaft fit before i installed the bushing. Guess i'll be lookin for a reamer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 07:06 pm:

Gary, your problem may be the square end of the drive shaft. Usually the drive shaft is worn a couple thousands where it rides in the bushing. What you have to do to make up for this is to do a little filing on the corners of the shaft where the universal joint slides on. In most cases your drive shaft will now slip in, and you wont have to ream out the bushing. If you do ream out the bushing and your drive shaft is worn you will end up with to much clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 07:30 pm:

Have you considered how you will shave material off the flange so the ujoint hole will line up? If you leave the bushing in there, not only will you have to ream it to fit the driveshaft but also face off the flange so the pin lines up. I suggest you drive it out, reduce the OD so it slips in and out. With it out, face off the flange trying it out to see if it fits, then glue it up. The beauty of the gluing method is that it allows to remove the bushing it as much as you want to get the flange thickness right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 08:20 pm:

Have you considered how you will shave material off the flange so the ujoint hole will line up? If you leave the bushing in there, not only will you have to ream it to fit the driveshaft but also face off the flange so the pin lines up. I suggest you drive it out, reduce the OD so it slips in and out. With it out, face off the flange trying it out to see if it fits, then glue it up. The beauty of the gluing method is that it allows to remove the bushing it as much as you want to get the flange thickness right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 07:20 am:

Dan...the shaft is new and the square end passes through fine but stops once pasted that point. Richard...i think i can locate a facing tool for the bushing but if not your idea should work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 08:03 am:

If you can get the square part of the drive shaft into the bushing, then you may be able to grind it to fit with Timesaver lapping compound?

I've used Timesaver for tight transmission drums, so the yellow grade works on bronze bushings, just more work than with babbitt :-)

Lang's sells it: http://www.modeltford.com/item/TIMESAV-Y.aspx Ok, only in very fine, might take time to get any clearance.
Suddenly the test kits from the producers are expensive? They were much cheaper some years ago when I bought it..? http://newman-tools-shopping-cart-2.myshopify.com/collections/timesaver-lapping- compound

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 11:46 am:

Roger....I have the yellow Timesaver. The shaft does start through a little so i may be able to use some to grind it to fit ? Thanks !

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration