Wire wheel options, How many did they make?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Wire wheel options, How many did they make?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 07:03 pm:

A little confusing as I was told that the 30 x 3 1/2 wire wheels are Not correct for a 1927 model T coupe. Yet I'm sure I've read that they Were an option?

I've heard about the demountable ones they use to sell to convert wood spoke to wire. Then there's the 21" which I thought were the only other ones made.

Recently I'm reading about 23" wire wheels and wondering what those are?

So are there even More different diam. wire wheels out there, or are the 21" only the reman's and the 23" are actually the originals?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 07:46 pm:

1927 cars came with 21 inch wire wheels. No options that year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 08:57 am:

Royce, is it possible that 1927 open cars had a different standard wheel with wires as an option? Here is what I see in the MTFCA encyclopedia:

Standard wheels were the 21 demountables, with the wire wheels an option. Wire wheels became standard equipment in the last production on closed cars beginning in late 1926. Black was the supplied color; other colors were special order or dealer-installed options.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 10:04 am:

Bob,
If you need a set of 1927 wire wheel front hubs contact me and I will give you his e-mail. He is a good friend and will be reasonable on price. Would like them to go where they are needed vice someone just wanting to make a buck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

As usual Royce is wrong when it comes to Canadian cars (which is what Rob is dealing with)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 07:45 pm:

Mark I've heard it both ways. Maybe wood wheels were on early open cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Ostergren on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

Since all 30x3 1/2 wire wheels would have been aftermarket accessories they certainly could be used on a '27 T. I don't know about other brands but Buffalos could be fit given that their rear hubs bolted to the T drums. To my way of thinking they'd be as "correct" or "incorrect" on a '27 T as they would be on any year T depending on one's point of view on adding aftermarket accessories to a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 10:16 pm:

Hello Bryan, they tell me you got married, congrads. How's Mom, tell her hello from us in Fulton Mo. Buffalo, Pasco, Simplex, House, Dayton, and many others w/there respective hubs and caps all fit all yrs of T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 10:23 pm:

Royce Peterson is a typical A&P IA, Always right.
I can hardly wait to see what he comes back with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 10:29 pm:

I was under the impression that the 30 x 3 1/2" were on the early T's. Learn something new every day!

I wonder why I was told by one of the vendors that they were Not correct, or wouldn't work (can't remember which) on a 27 T coupe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 10:32 pm:

John E Cox,

I'm not always right. Are you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 11:23 pm:

I have a 26-7 2 dr sedan w/ 30 x 3 1/2 wheels on it came from western Kansas, I guess the ruts were too deep for 21 in tires

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 08:24 am:

John, any chance you could post a pic or two of you sedan with the 30 x 3 1/2's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 10:27 am:

Robert it is in a barn w/rear end blowed up (as I bought it that away) and the front fenders and left rear I sold, so now the car doesn't need payments to pay it off, its unrestored, and I pulled the riad, as I put a wood cab TT in front of it and the bed is over the engine presently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:29 am:

So what's the deal with the 30 x 3 1/2 wire wheels? They come nickel plated correct?

My only concern would be them looking too much like a bike tire. Can someone convert the tire size of the 30 x 3 1/2 vs the 21 inch rims? (section width and overall tire height)

Are these meant for Any T, or are they only desirable on certain models, like the earlier ones?

Anyone use these on 26-27 coupes and if so, can you post some pics?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 11:20 am:

Robt 30 x 3 1/2= 3 1/2 x 2=7, 30-7=23 in tire, 30 x 3 tire= 3 x 2=6, 30-6=24 in tire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 12:41 pm:

Robert

The correct wire wheel for the '26-'27 T is the Ford factory welded wire wheel, drop center for 21" balloon tires.

Now as John posted you could buy aftermarket (non-Ford) wire wheels, these are wire spoke type, with adjustable spokes. Not welded as the strong Ford T wheel. There were many makers of these wire wheels, in different rim sizes too to take different tires.

Here is a period photo of a '26-'27 with aftermarket wires, note the nuts to allow the rim to demount. Ford solved the issue by having the drop center rim, making a demountable rim un-necessary as the tire could easily be changed with the wire wheel on the car, or you could remove the hub nuts and replace the wheel.

The '26-'27 looks best with Ford welded wire wheels IMO. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 12:55 pm:

Again, Great information! Stupid me, I was thinking the Rim was 30" diam, so the tire would be crazy tall compared to the 21" rims. lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 01:09 pm:

Fyi, my '27 touring car has wood spoke wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dysart - SoCal on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 08:13 pm:

Hi Robert.

John's explanation left out the 21" rims, so a 21" rim with 21x4.40 tires is 21 + (4.4 x 2) or 8.8 = 29.8" of wheel and tire. Pretty close to the 30" tires and wheels. Actual tire sidewall height varies by manufacturer and tire model so overall height of any of these sizes can differ from the "spec" size.

Keep 'em cranking,
Eric
Altadena, CA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 11:24 pm:

I believe that in 1926 - 27 the standard wheel was the 21 inch demountable, split rim, wood wheel. The optional wheel would have been 21 inch wire wheels as supplied from Ford. Im not sure, but I think the 21 inch wire wheel was not available on early 26 open cars. Then there is the 3rd type of wheel that is always forgotten. It is the 30 X 3-1/2 inch non demountable, wood spoke, steel felloe wheel, for the non starter 1926 cars. Since the non starter option was not offered in 1927, the steel felloe non demountable wheel may not have been offered either. I think anything else would be an accessory wheel. While they would be period correct they are not correct as Ford built it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 11:27 pm:

I just noticed in the thread above that Robert is dealing with a Canadian car. The info I gave above pertains to US production. Canadian cars are a different matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 01:16 pm:

I find it strange that the 21" rims, are referred to as 21", but then the rim for the 30" tire is Not referred to. Instead they refer to the tire diameter.

Very strange and somewhat confusing way to compare tire/ rim sizes?

Why wouldn't rim sizes be compared to rim sizes and tire sizes compared to tire sizes? Would seem to make more sense........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

Robert, the mix of tyre/rim sizes is historical. Tyres were first marketed with their outside diameter marked and the width given. Hence 30 x 3.5"

With the development of different width tyres made to suit rims of the same size, there was a need for a more accurate way of noting tyre sizes. The rim diameter became the standard and the width of the tyre was included. Hence 21" rims had multiple width tyres, 4x40, 4.75, 5.00, 5.25, 5.50 and so on.

My 1924 colonial bodied T tourer came standard with new fangled 4.40 x 23" balloon tyres on clincher rims. The new way of describing tyre sizes is much more informative.

Others may have more to add.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration