Has anyone ever install Model A split valve guides in Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Has anyone ever install Model A split valve guides in Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 11:10 pm:

Thinking today while I was sandblasting if it could or has been done. Got the basic how to thought out, so just wondering?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 01:07 am:

The split valve guides are the thing to get away from.
I am sure most model A Fords and a lot of V8 motors before '54 are going together with modern, straight, one piece guides.
I just finished a Russian model B last week and I pressed in modern one-piece guides.
The last T engine I did this winter also got the same valves and guides from an early OHV Ford 6. I think a 232? 223?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 10:58 am:

The Model A/B engines we have done at the shop have been getting the split guides. We have the one piece sets in stock and of the 3 sets we have had for over 2 years, I think we have sold one. Other shops may have a different experience.
Because the split guides are a slip fit I was thinking they could be replaced more easily in a home shop then the press in type.
With the work that is involved with opening the hole and spot facing each one for the A/B type guide I would go with the press in type myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 08:07 pm:

I have only used probably 2 sets of split guides and mushroom valves in 10 years. I only use one piece guides and oversize intakes on all the A's I rebuild. I probably do 30 a year.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration