12 volt question on original style coils

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 12 volt question on original style coils
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cary Abate on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 03:05 pm:

Does the change to 12 volt affect the Ford Coils?

Cary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 03:41 pm:

It will improve performance on battery. It will make no difference if you run on mag. 12 volts can, however, overheat a coil if it is left buzzing on 12 volts. It doesn't hurt to RUN on 12 volts, but if the car doesn't start immediately and you let it sit with one coil buzzing while you look for the problem, it will overheat that coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:33 am:

My "main driver" has used coils and 12 volts for about 7 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:38 am:

My roadster was already converted to 12V and I have had it about 2 years the family that owned it previously said it was converted in '95 had no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:53 am:

I believe it was Mike Gossor (sic) that ran tests and a chart concerning coils & voltages. It actually showed a slightly better coil operation for 12 vdc over 6 vdc though it might not be noticeable in actual service.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration