Something followed me home again

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Something followed me home again
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe raab on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 06:52 pm:

I didn't really need this, but if I didn't buy it he was going to sell it to a street-rodder. Someone restored this car in the '70s, and it looks like they did a good job. But the guy died in 1980 and the car sat in the garage until now and it deteriorated a little. It has a few minor problems: the back wheels won't both turn forward--they just skid and so I figured the problem must be in the drive shaft. I pulled the rear end and when I took the torque tube off, the drive shaft rear bearing by the pinion was completely rusted and wouldn't move. I haven't yet taken it apart, but I pulled the rear end apart and found the inner axle bearing rusted and even the sleeves were rusted. So I pulled the sleeves and the bearings out and cleaned everything up. It looks like the rear end was restored when they did the car, and it looks like they did a good job when they did it. It had a new ring and pinion gear. It had bronze thrust washers but somehow moisture got in there and rusted over the years. I was surprised because I've pulled rear ends apart that laid out in the field for years and they didn't have rust in them even though the internal parts were broken.

Another thing: it has this thing on the front wheel that I've never seen before, and it looks like it has a little glass lens in the center. What is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 07:11 pm:

Joe, that thing could once have been a mileage recorder as seen on heavy vehicles today. They are meant to record the distance the vehicle has travelled, regardless of wheelspin, skidding etc, so are fitted to non driven wheels usually.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 07:11 pm:

Modern day trucks have something like that and they are called wet oil seal setups.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 07:15 pm:

Could be a hubometer also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 07:19 pm:

Joe can I come drive around your neighborhood I need a few to follow me home, the wife said it would be ok if I can find a place for them to sleep!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 07:22 pm:

Thank you for saving such a nice car from being street rodded!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 07:28 pm:

Joe, did the engine also have any water in the oil. First thing that drains out. Water must have been above the axle housing for water to get in. Good looking car. Possibly someone was trying to tighten up the spokes in a stream and the water rose. No serious damage, great find. Happy it's not going to become a Hot Rod. Fiberglass is for Hot Rods...don't cut up an original car just to say it's steel.
I like Hot Rod's.....Owned a 32 Ford 3 window since I was 16 and sold it a few years ago to pay off the house at retirement. It was an all steel Hot Rod when I bought it and was still old school when it found a new home. Enjoy Model T's much more than Hot Rods!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 10:03 pm:

Nice! The only thing following me home are more repairs! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 04:52 am:

Flood Car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 08:14 am:

The axle in our '14 Touring, which was toured heavily prior to the rebuild and not submerged at any time in water, had about 1/4 cup of water in it when we tore it apart. There was heavy active rust in the center bearings. It was, and still is, a mystery to me as to how it got there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:41 am:

Joe, nice find! Maybe one of these days we'll eventually get some decent weather here to use 'em! And like Mark said, thanks for saving it from becoming a Street Rod. How gross.
Mark, I kinda know what you mean. Got the '15's engine back from Joe Bell, if it ever warms up, I'll get it in, next one will be the engine for the '25 TT firetruck. He's gonna try that repair in the truck though. Hopefully in and out in a day! Then the next big question is, what about the otherwise nicely running '12 that hasn't only had but a valve job that I know of? "Preventive rebuilding", or wait? Decisions decisions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:45 am:

Tin;
Looks like u have your work cut out for u.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 10:12 am:

It does not take too much of a water crossing to get water where it should not be.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration