"S" type New Day timer experement ended today! :-(

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: "S" type New Day timer experement ended today! :-(
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 08:24 pm:

Sometime in the 3 1/2 mile trip from the shop to home the belt came off and cut through the timer all the way to the contacts. It was running very ruff when I pulled over. I put the belt back on and made it back the last 1/4 mile to the house. When I pulled the cover off at the house the bottom pulley side contact in the housing was forced out from the case an angle. The car was still running on all 4 but the brush was thumping every time it went over the brush. Because of the shape of the contact it was acting like a ramp and the brush sustained only minor damages the timer is toast. I will post photos later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 08:37 pm:

For those that don't know. I was trying to see if using a carbon generator brush instead of the harder copper starter brush would allow the S type with the softer plastic shell to last longer. With only about 50 miles on the car it was looking good but not close to a full test.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

A worthwhile experiment Mark, especially with no one making quality new day's similar to the originals. Sorry it ended prematurely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 09:33 pm:

"S" stands for "Snyder".

Did the timer cause the belt to come off? I've seen some with belt rub marks on them but they seem to have plenty of clearance on my cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 09:59 pm:

http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/redmodelt/library/New%20Day%20Timer%20test?sor t=3&page=1
No the belt has been riding on the back of the fan pulley and this time it road too far back and up over the lip. I think also that if the case had been the original harder material it might not have cut through as fast. This was cut and melted through. the photos are the end and the start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 02:48 am:

In my experience fan belts rubbing on the timer are usually due to a mis-match of parts. It occurs when the belt is too long and the fan arm is adjusted way up to get some tension. This happens with leather belts which stretch. The wrong combination of pulley and fan arm can give the same result.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 03:03 am:

Our last club run had a New Day fail, the brush holder was made from brass and snapped in half.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:45 am:

Try TW components new timer. I think it'll be a great replacement for the New Day. JMO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 10:10 am:

I agree with Tim. I put one on my car and ran it 350 miles so far without a blip. I don't know why but with 7 Model T's I have found that three of them run nicely with Anderson timers the other four not so much. I run an old New Day on one of them and it performs well but is well worn and I have switched over to the TW Components timer on the other three and so far am very pleased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 07:54 pm:

The belt rubbed on the timer after it road over the back lip on the pulleys (I have the aftermarket type aluminum crank pulley) not before. I may have had the tension too tight on the belt. It was a little tighter then I normally have it.
I did have to cut a new slot on the other side of the brush holder. The old slot got wallowed out. Glad this has one of the cams with the hole all the way through.
Re the TW setup; when I can just buy the brush and holder from the venders I might think about it.
I may have only used original Anderson's but my past experience with them is, I don't like them. Simple as that. But that is a different subject.
An original New Day has been installed, the timing reset and she is back to her old self (for now knock on wood).

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration