Tail lamp options for 1927 Coupe, pics Please!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Tail lamp options for 1927 Coupe, pics Please!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 08:56 am:

I've been looking into what my options are for rear tail lights for the 27 model T coupe.

Was really leaning towards the dual Drum lights with the "Stop" embossed behind the lens, but it looks like no one makes them :-(

So I was hoping some of you could help me by posting pics of your own rear tail light set-ups!

I'm going to be wiring in turn signals, brake lights and running lights IF possible. The Drum light looks to have a licence plate light? (lens through the bottom)

All options and pics are Greatly appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 10:17 am:

No one makes them but they are around. As an alternative there is an almost identical tail lamp that does not have the Ford script that you can use. The original Ford accessory lamp is expensive and the other one is not too bad. There were several at Hershey last year for under $100.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 10:58 am:

Model A tail lamps. These came from JC Whitney but I'm not sure if they still carry them. Takes two of the large (1129 ?) 6 volt bulbs. With the proper T/S switch covers stop/turn/tail nicely. Very bright. Totally removable. Snyder's has the Model A drum lamps you're looking for. Body & lens with stop on it sold separately. I highly recommend the Fun Projects stop light kit. The bracket alone is worth the price of the kit.

(Message edited by adminchris on March 21, 2014)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:10 am:

I use the stainless steel Model A taillights. Don't have a pic of the car but here's a pic I borrowed offn the interweb.
Model A taillight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:12 am:

Here's what came on our '27 Coupe. I'm just learning about these "new" Model Ts :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:38 am:

I have one of those tail lights without a glass, if someone has an extra glass and not tail light.

I have never identified the original manufacturer, but they were made for Dodge, Hupmobile and a few other cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:41 am:

Hall made the accessory Ford tail lamps.
They made the same thing for Dodge and a couple other brands at the same time. You can find them with the DB logo, Hall or sometimes no brand at all.
They are different from the Model A drum lamps and the latter Model A "tea cup" lamp.

The DB ones come up for sale cheaper on Ebay from time to time.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 08:35 am:

I used the 1928 Model A drum tail light for several years. They are half the price new for a new repro, as compared to an original, have separate stop and tail light bulbs, the same electrical connection, and only slightly smaller in size. They have the same bolt pattern and are easily mounted without drilling any holes.

Light

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 09:01 am:

Larry, knowing Hall made the lamp was a good lead to the patent, Number US1631678, and the location of the C. M. Hall Lamp Company in Detroit, Michigan.

The patent was filed on July 7, 1924 and granted on June 7, 1927.

The lamps were evidently in production before the patent was granted, as July 1927 was just a little late for the Model T Ford.

The 1928 Early Ford Tail Light may have been just a slight variation also made by C. M. Hall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 09:54 am:

Check Brattons Antique Auto Parts. URL: www.brattons.com They offer a repop drum style tail light for the 28-29 Model A that is very similar in appearance and function to the 26-27 Model T tail/stop version. That's they way I am going on my '26 Tudor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 10:47 am:

Great pics and some very informative info!

When going with a dual tail light set-up, what are you guys doing for the passenger tail light to fender bracket? Are there any still available?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

I took these photos of a stock 1927 Touring this morning. Something else to add to your information...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 04:06 pm:

"what are you guys doing for the passenger tail light to fender bracket? Are there any still available?"

Here's a link to Lang's, but I'm sure the other vendors also carry them.

http://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=8785R&page=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 08:57 pm:

Snyders and Langs both have the passenger side rear fender bracket, Part Number 8785R, but it also needs a backing plate on the underside of the fender, Part Number 8785PL.

Snyders has the Drum Tail Light in the Model A section of their catalog in either Black or Nickel and a new lens cover in Nickel that is sold separately.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration