Old Photo - Lizett Sleeper

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Lizett Sleeper
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:35 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 12:03 pm:

Neat picture....I have a 13 touring with a sleeper kit. The body is original and has a number stamped under the front seat. Ours has brass latches on each side. No name tag or indication on who made the kit or installed it. There is also a 15 touring where I live that has a sleeper kit with hidden latches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 04:52 pm:

Wouldn't want my daughters dating the owner of that car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 05:21 pm:

I also have a 22' touring car with a sleeper kit no name on it either but looks very well done. A friend of mine came over once and said that was a "no no car"! He told me if his daughters ever asked to go for a ride in that one his answer would be No No!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 06:18 pm:

My grandparents and their kids drove from Mission, TX to Fridley, MN in the spring of 1922 right after renting out the farm they bought from the Sherryland Land Co. in 1918 and after the boys got their promotion papers to the next grade in school.

Grandpa took their '17 touring to the local Ford garage and the owner had one of his Mexican mechanics convert the car to something similar to this. Dad said the seat back had been cut down both sides and some door hinges (I assume the lighter type used on screen doors) had been installed at the bottom and a couple of gate hooks held the seat upright. Something had to be done to the upholstery but he never gave me any details on that but it shouldn't be too hard to add a little wood stripping here & there, cut the leatherette & tack it down to the added wood.

With the seat laid down, the folks would sleep with my Uncle Art (age 4) between them. They threw an Army Surplus tent over the car and the younger two boys would sleep on top of the bundles stowed on the running boards while the two oldest boys slept on the ground. Sleeping arrangements varied from night-to-night. In one town they all slept under the roof of the gazebo on the main square.

Took 16 days to reach Fridley and my Uncle Art, at one point, asked, "Are we ever going to have a house again?"

I love looking at these survivor examples whether kits, or homebuilt.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration