Registering a T in Florida question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Registering a T in Florida question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

I know the Florida DMV needs to see the vin number but as we all know thats on the engine. Im trying to get all my T's crossed and I's dotted before I go so there wont be any problems when I get up to the window. How do you get pass this problem or will they use the engine number to let me register the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J Williams on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 04:08 pm:

In New York we can use a pencil tracing of the engine
Number it is very easy

Good luck Jim w

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 04:45 pm:

Will

FL requires a title or current registration (license) to get a FL title. Then proof of insurance and then inspection in person at DMV/Tax Collector office to view the VIN! Read that as engine number matches the number in the valid out of state title or current registration papers. In lieu of carrying the T to them you get an inline form or get form at DMV office that let's a police officer come to you and inspect verify the engine number and sign the firm .

Without a valid title or current registration slip from another state it is difficult to title an old car in FL . Don't think you can do it without either .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 04:50 pm:

Will, in Florida they will send a cop to the house to check the vin number. Obviously you can't legally drive the car to the DMV unless it is registered first so that is how they deal with that issue. The cop will then sign the verification part of the registration application and you should be good to go. One of my cars came from California and the title used the body number not the engine number so that is the number I showed them. On my other cars I showed them the engine number as that is what appeared on the title that was signed over to me. They don't have a clue. Bottom line, show them the number that matches the title or registration transferring the car to you and that should be all you need. By the way go for the Horseless Carriage plates. You register once for a nominal fee and the plate is good for life! That has to be done by mail through Tallahassee so I usually register my cars as antiques and then switch them over later because I don't want to wait for the paper work to clear. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 04:55 pm:

BYW, on my last title task , the police officer I called to see and verify just glanced at the engine block and wrote the number on the form. Then he sat in the squad car for a while. I came up to his window asking for the form back. He told me I could have it after he checked on his dashboard mounted computer that 'the car wasn't stolen'! Go figure. Wonder how many Model T engines numbers are found stolen? Hah!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 05:00 pm:

Will, Go check out Broadway Title in Alabama.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 05:22 pm:

Thanks Dan, I was worried about how the Florida DMV would handle the vin number being on the engine and not the body. The Touring car is licensed and insured in New York right now. What I thought I might do is just drive it over on the NY tags when I get moved to Florida. I just have to ask Hagerty for a Florida insurance ID. Of my 5 vintage cars thats the only one I'm keeping. All the others will go to the auction or sold before I leave for Florida in a few months. Thanks again for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 05:48 pm:

Will - you'll love the fact that you pay a one time fee for a "horseless carriage" registration and then you never have to fool with license plates or registrations again. I think the fee is around $80 .... or was two years ago. Hassle free, the way it OUGHT to be!

I also think if you have a current title (even from NY) it will be painless and no cop to visit you.

Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 06:14 pm:

Form for plates

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/83045.pdf

Getting the horseless plates is best. Only for cars 1927 and earlier

BTW. If you drive the DVM clerk will follow you out to the T and you lift the hood and point to the 'VIN' on the side the the engine! They love it! Some are fixated there is no little plate under the windshield! Ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 02:40 pm:

Just a hint. When I have an untitled Model T I copy down the hard to see VIN number on the engine block

I then go to a trophy shop and for $ 3 have a small plate made to mount on the fire wall with say

"1923 Ford Model T
4,345,678 "

as an example easy for them to see

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration