Where was my T Built?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Where was my T Built?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

My 1915 Touring has engine # 767495, which, as far as I can tell, means the car was produced around April/May. Is there a way for me to tell which factory built it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 05:57 pm:

You might be able to at least get close. It depends on how much of the car's history you know.

Example: My '17 touring was located in Eagle Bend, MN for it's entire life. It had passed from the original owner to a nephew and ended up in the hands of the nephew's niece. That said, it probably came from the Minneapolis Ford Plant which had been operational starting around 1914-15 and was most likely shipped to Eagle Bend or possibly Alexandria, MN from Minneapolis since that area falls within the Mpls. Plant's distribution territory.

I can't say with any certainty that this is fact, just an educated conjecture using common sense and the knowledge of Ford practices at the time.

If your '15 was a "local" car then you can probably come to the same sort of logical conclusions. If you have absolutely no information on the car's past you're sort of out of luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 06:01 pm:

Bob

Only way is to trace owner documents/history

No records are in any searchable base

Only early records at Benson Ford library are build sheet records. But not for 1915 sorry.
Bruce's big book lists many production records of body types and chassis totals of many of the branches and Dearborne main factory. But not to engine # level

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 07:48 pm:

Had it been a little earlier, like january 1915, there would have been a small 10-15% chance to find the car in the Accounts Receivables ledgers, see more info in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/152937.html?1280578413

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 08:55 pm:

map

This Assembly Plant map showed me where a '15 Touring I had for a number of years was assembled. I know that it sold new in '15 here in Fayetteville, AR, which is in that little notch in the map including this area in the Oklahoma City Assembly Plant sales area.
If you know where your car sold new, you could use a similar map for your area to determine where it was assembled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 08:57 pm:

BTW, the circled A's are assembly plant locations. I believe this map was valid in 1915.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

Mike,

Where did you find a copy of the map? I'm off the "flat earth edge" of the portion you show of the map above. :-) I do know the history and the location of the dealer that sold one of my cars.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 10:32 pm:

I was afraid someone would ask that. :-)

Actually, I got it here on the Forum some time ago. I think there was a map covering the entire USA, but I didn't save that one and don't remember who posted it. Someone else will have to take it from here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 10:42 pm:

try this for later years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:02 pm:

Mike & George,

Thanks,

Now I know for sure. I suspected it was the Seattle plant. I have some NOS parts including a frame with a tag from the Seattle plant. Also have the dealer entry book leger listing the sale of my car when new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:08 pm:

Based on what you've told us I surmise your Model T was built in a Ford plant. Possibly in North America. Sometime between 1908 and 1927. Is it by any chance painted black?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 05:16 am:

No Mike. It was built in my garage. :-) Mostly black but with flames sometimes when I have the timing wrong and it belches back through the carb. :-)

It's a 1919 roadster I rescued after it was mostly disassembled. Traced it back and found it was purchased by my maternal grandfather and my father owned it later but before I was born. Kinda special to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 11:04 am:

Thanks for posting the "big map" George. I knew someone must have it.

Dennis -- That's really special that your car was in your family "back in the day." You can't put a dollar value on that kind of thing.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration