Looking for Ideas for Holding Items in Pickup Bed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Looking for Ideas for Holding Items in Pickup Bed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 07:33 pm:

Hello all, I've started taking the T around town to run errands and get groceries and I find that the cab gets pretty cramped with me and a few bags of groceries in it. So last time, I put the groceries in the pickup bed, but of course the wimpy plastic bags allow everything to roll around and fall out.

I've thought about getting a couple of old peach baskets and bungee cording them in the front of the bed to put things in, does anyone have pics they can post of their period looking solutions or suggestions? Thanks!

truck01

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 07:37 pm:

Gunny sacks or orange crates

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 07:50 pm:

Mark why not make aboard the width of the bed and make a couple of brackets that you can put "Screw type leveling feet" at the ends. then when you need to haul groceries put the board where you need it tighten the leveling feet against the walls of the bed that will hold the groceries in place when it is not being used it can be slid against the head board or left in the garage when not needed or going to a show. JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 07:54 pm:

Find some period correct (or almost most, most won't know the difference) wood crates or boxes to put the groceries bags in. "Wala" just like the good old days.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Saitta on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 08:20 pm:

Judy and I use plastic boxes to hold stuff- they protect from rain etc. We drove our 1927 pickup 170 miles to the Winter Tour last year in Daytona. Worked great. I took my self-propelled lawn mower to be repaired today in the T. Protected the bed and used bungy cords to hold in place. I carefully protect the bed when getting rocks or mulch for the yard. It is a working truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:09 pm:

Thanks all for the suggestions! G.R., I like your idea of the board with leveling feet, I think I'll make it my next project. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 09:27 am:

I use the plastic milk crates that you can still pretty much get at any dairy operation. Also have a rubber matt on the bottom of the pickup bed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 04:44 pm:

Like Tim, I have a soft rubber mat on the bed floor,. My '25 has metal strips between the bed boards so things can slide very easily. Mat does the trick and protects the finish on the wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 04:46 pm:

Tim and Bill, what does your rubber mat look like and where did you get it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

Farm centers have heavy duty rubber matting that is used in cattle stalls and can be cut to fit a truck bed. Also a softer type mat can be purchased through food service industry equipment supply house the type used by commercial dishwashers. Industrial supply houses sell for mats used around equipment where operators must stand for hours on concrete. I sure if you look on the internet you will find these type of suppliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 05:15 pm:

How about an old steamer trunk? They seem to pop up fairly cheap. I would like to have one for the rear of our Fordor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 05:31 pm:

How about 4 boards, two for the length of your p/u box and two for the width. Cut slots half way through each board so they can be assembled in a tic tac toe configuration. # Extra slots can be cut to provide various size compartments. When done hauling they can be taken apart and stacked for storage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 06:03 pm:

There's always a glut of footlockers and steamer trunks on Craigslist. However, many misinformed sellers think they are rare and worth a lot of money.

Same thing goes with large, home made wooden carpenter's tool chests. There usually are a few on Craigslist at any given time. Quality and craftsmanship vary. (I have one in my basement that I plan to get rid of soon.)

Owners of stock and hot rod 1940s and 50s pickup trucks take 1920s/1930s accessory steel trunks and bolt them to the pickup bed, just behind the cab. The trunks occasionally show up on Craigslist. I sold this trunk to one such fellow:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 07:24 pm:

Mark...can't say where the matt came from as it came with the truck when I bought it last year. However, it's a fairly stout one, I'd say 1/4 inch. thick. I know it's not "period correct" but who cares. Keeps stuff from sliding, looks nice, and can't see it from the road anyway. I do use the plastic milk carton crate too occasionally to keep small things in one place and keeps things tidy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 07:40 pm:

Thanks for all the suggestions! As an experiment, I think I'm going to try for a period look, so I bought a couple of wooden slat peach baskets. Instead of putting a mat in the whole bed, I may get some smaller sections of mat and attach them to the bottom of the peach baskets to help keep them from sliding around. Then, instead of a wood board, I may try using some rope to help hold the peach baskets towards the front part of the bed. I'll post a picture once I have it all assembled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 07:50 pm:

Ed I have a rack and trunk w/cover that my best friend used to have on his 4 dr T when he drove to Alaska, as far up as he could go and back to Fulton Mo. it's for sale as I don't have use for it danuser88@ktis.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 07:51 pm:

Hay Mark! I use a spring loaded screw type shower rod with rubber pads on it for my ford ranger when we go for groceries and it keeps things where you put them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 07:53 pm:

Thanks Ken, that's a good idea.

I also have one of those spring loaded rods, I can use it if my experiment with the peach baskets goes awry. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

A word of caution to Dennis Seth about the rubber mat. I have a hack that I put a heavy rubber mat on the floor to keep things in one place and to avoid scratching the wood floor. It works great BUT don't forget to dry under the mat if you get caught in the rain. It will destroy the finish very quickly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 11:31 am:

How about a small, stretchy, cargo net?
Ferinstance:
http://www.amazon.com/Highland-95013-Black-Three-Pocket-Storage/dp/B00076QA4C/re f=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1395588487&sr=8-5&keywords=Cargo+net
Or;
http://www.amazon.com/Bell-22-1-33653-8-Cargo-Net/dp/B002C7DSIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT F8&qid=1395588487&sr=8-1&keywords=Cargo+net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 09:33 pm:

I think a butter box or dynamite box with the the finger joint corners would look period.
I have a Canadian butter box with the stencils on it and a dynamite box that has been cleaned up and varnished both with finger joints. They can be found in antique stores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve miller- mississauga,ontario on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:06 pm:

Whiskey barrel with hinged lid, or did you have prohibition at that time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 11:51 pm:

Yep, prohibition was 1920-1933, so that would include Mark's truck. I like the idea of peach baskets and old wooden boxes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 12:22 am:

I have spirit boxes on mine. 2 whisky and a gin box on the back; another whisky box fixed to the running board for my lunch box, thermos flask, camera etc. I am going to line 1 out with polystyrene so I can have a cold beer when I reach my destination. I already have the bottle opener screwed to the side of the deck.
No prohibition in NZ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 08:06 pm:

Not vintage but this outfit has several options.
http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Organizer/Hopkins/HM74113.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 10:32 pm:

"No prohibition in NZ."
Unless you lived in king country?
http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/ngati-maniapoto/page-4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 11:58 pm:

Period correct? Nope! Very useful? absolutely! Also useable in your modern rig. http://www.amazon.com/Heininger-4016-HitchMate-Stabilizer-Full-Size/dp/B000FOUB8 M

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 12:01 am:

my other suggestion would be to find an old milk crate to put back there. My buddy keeps two spare tires in his truck with a modern milk crate in the center of the two tires down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 02:49 pm:

My peach baskets arrived today, so I loosely tied them into the pickup bed to get a look at them:

baskets01

baskets02

I like the look - They are full bushel baskets, I suspect that half bushel baskets would not stick up above the top of the pickup bed.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration