Caution about glass beads

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Caution about glass beads
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J and M Machine Co Inc on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 07:56 pm:

We received an engine bare block in today for a crankshaft conversion/rebabbitt.
Since it was done by "others" I zealously inspected all portions of the engine block to see what the other shop did or didn't do;mostly didn't.

Other than missing many cracks and poor valve job I noticed the babbitt torn up on the mains.

After looking closely with my magnifier I came to conclusion it was glass bead contamination. pieces of "dirt" iron/brass embedded into the babbitt. The dirt also traveled to the cylinders where there're heavy scratches in the bottoms of all cylinders.

Which raises a flag for all you do it yourself'ers out there.

You can never be to clean this is the result of a dirty job.!
This engine has 1200 Miles on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 08:11 pm:

Also happens when a 'fresh' short block is fitted with the old dirty tranny and crankcase.

That motor with 1200 miles should have had several oil changes to allow such 'dirt' to be expelled too .

But clean first and clean assembly may be a chore but one that is a must . :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

You know it says something about the times we live in when a supposedly reputable shop would leave that crap inside a block. What the hell did they think would happen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 12:44 am:

Good info, thanks - also I have seen antique motorcycle engines with the same problem, After being rebuilt.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration