What Did You Buy at Chickasha?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What Did You Buy at Chickasha?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Taylor on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 08:15 pm:

What did you buy at Chickasha? I bought a Buckeye Jack and a new Choke pull rod.

And, Mr. Steve Jelf, were you at the swap meet today? Because, I think I saw you. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:00 pm:

I bought a set of five Model T wire wheels, a 23" wood spoke feloe, a rather tired 21" split rim and some nut socket. Not much, it was VERY slow on Friday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold R Carpenter - Fair Grove, MO on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:09 pm:

Chickasha has become like an annual two-day vacation for me. I really look forward to it. It its is worth going just to look and to visit with fellow T- hobbyists. I had parts delivered by Lang's and Howell Sheet Metal brought me a trunk deck pan for my coupe. I was able to purchase several sheet metal body parts for the coupe and two front fenders. Over-all a very enjoyable experience. The absence of Bob Bergstom left a big hole in the front building.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:42 pm:

Yes, I was there and bought 17 items, ranging from $1 to $98. Had the best time ever visiting with forum cronies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 10:24 pm:

I found a few parts I needed for the '21 Runabout I'm trying to get on the road, almost everything on my list. Had a great time visiting with lots of old friends whom I get to see only once or twice a year. :-) I shared two swap meet spaces with John Steele and Paul Mikeska; we had lots of extra room so we set up a few lawn chairs and many Forum folks stopped by to "sit a spell" and visit.

I know I won't remember them all, but some of them are: Harold Schwendeman, Paul Grissee (sp?), Steve Jelf, Willie Cordes, George House, Dan Treace, Dylan and Ashley Wills, Tyler Searle, John, Paul and me, and even "Uncle Stan" made an appearance. :-) Those spaces were "officially" Unca' Stan's this year, but they'll be John's beginning next year.

We missed a couple of the "usual suspects" this year: Uncle Jack, who is undergoing treatments for throat cancer, and Dan Conder, who is helping Jay Klefoth meet a publishing deadline for the next VF magazine. We hope to see both of them back next year.

And of course, there were lots of other old Model T buddies who stopped by who are not Forum folks. The incomparable "smell of rust in the morning" is wonderful of course, but it's the opportunity to visit with old friends which makes the Chickasha meet worth coming back for year after year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 12:59 am:

Bought several sets of rear axle bearings and sleeves from Mark Cameron at $5 each. Also bought ten magneto shims from Mark @ $5 for the group.

A 1917 steering wheel, restored, for $100.
Three valve stem covers with Schrader tool from the Neuhoffers for $6.

A really nice original Ford timer for $3.

Two perfect rear wheel hubs for $20.

1915 AC speedometer cable parts from Kim Dobbins for $40.

1914 JNO Brown #115 tail lamp from Richard Emery for $200. A really nice one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 01:55 am:

Price seemed to be my enemy this year. I bought two Disteel wheels but did not get the rear hub I wanted. I almost bought a front axle for an early 1909/10 but my wallet said no. I did buy some odds and ends, but nothing to get excited about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 03:21 am:

Low mileage and wear 26-27 bare block, an NOS Goodyear Diamond tread tire that is still soft and pliable enough to mount, and a rebuilt 26-27 Ruxtel axle, complete with 3 to 1 ring and pinion, full floating hubs for wire wheels, drive shaft, driveshaft tube, radius rods, brakes, U joint, powder coated and ready to mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 07:37 am:

I bought a Jno Brown and Corcoran cowl lamp so as to make up a set/pair consecutively. But a new friend from N.C. who recently bought my '25 TT brought me a gorgeous fat man steering wheel ! Like Mike said, the visiting was the best part of the day. However, I'm a little concerned; when it was a 3 day meet, the last day was for loading up. Now that its only a 2 day meet, the second day was, to a large extent, for loading up and leaving.
Oh, and I also bought a NOS '26 headlight bar from Terry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 09:23 am:

Got 3 nice 23" demountable wood wheels, two with good rims for $25 ea., two Disteel wheels for spares (w/o hubs), aftermarket walnut rim steering wheel for $20 , gobs of little parts , some NOS in those $1 ea piles! Love those boxes , one had NOS right front perch! Score for me.

Cornered the market on drum headlamps for T's , the style with dual nickel rims as found on Mercury speedsters , 3 of them for only $40 so have parts now to make a nice pair!

Best find for me is a factory forged T front axle, un-machined , the last stage prior to drilling the fork spindle and perch holes! Will post picture later with copy too of period engineering magazine article describing the forging steps of the front axle that has photo of this raw blank! Neat display item , might have been a factory display piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 10:26 am:

Made it home last night. We were there camping in our usual spaces. Bought too much to list. Will post some pics later as I get it unpacked. Best thing I got was an original speedster body and an extra 28 Whippet radiator for the speedster project. Dan I think that un-drilled axle belonged to a friend of mine, here in Ark. Nice piece. We sleep on the spaces and when we woke up Thur morning my friend said "we must be in heaven, where else could you wake up with old model T and A cars and parts in your bedroom". Met some new people, got to visit with some forum folks and put faces to them. Met Steve Jelf, he stayed in the same Pre War Swap Meet Motel that we did, just a couple rooms (rows) over from us. We got to visit some, but I did learn that the folks from Kansas do not know how to say "Arkansas" . Well I guess I better start unpacking. Remember...... Its just 363 more days till Chickasa 2015 ... I can't wait ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 11:01 am:

As Mike Walker said--Chickasha is a good "social" venue for FORUM members--thanks to Paul Mikeska and John Steele for sharing their space and even furnishing lawn chairs so we could get off our feet for a spell.George House was there with his "wounded" left arm, but still pretty feisty. I was able to convince Unca Stan to sell me one more of his fabulous Stromburg OF rebuilt carbs--Didn`t even have to carry it home--he will ship.I thought the meet was a bit smaller this year but it still has the Model T character prevailing.Missed unca Jack and hope he is healing well---Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 11:08 am:

I bought a very nice low speed drum for $10.00.

A nice brake drum for $20.00.

2 nice axle bearings for $5 each.

Right and left front spindles and arms hardly used for $10.

A NOS set of magnet screws for $1.

And 1 extra nice brake lever assembly 17-25 for $20. To nice to pass up.

At our Motel my wife overheard some guys at the table next us talking about how T people always want to but cheap! The guy Belonged to a Packard club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 01:33 am:

Left picture is my haul, the right pic is $800.00 worth.

The reaming $200ish I spent on these bits and pieces. Loved the dollar boxes.

I came home with $27.00 and only wrote two checks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 08:46 am:

Twenty some years ago I went to Chickasha and bought an accessory front bumper manufactured in Eldorado, Kansas. I paid twenty dollars for it. I've been looking for a rear bumper since then. I found it this year at Chickasha. It was marked three hundred and seventy-five dollars. I couldn't bring myself to pay the price, but couldn't stand to go home without it. After looking at it for two days I couldn't stand it any more. I made an offer, he made a counter offer, and I took it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:50 am:

Now that I have the time to do it, I can report in detail. Here's my list: Timer roller, $1; Alemite hub cap (for show & tell), $1; FP pinion bearing, $98; Demountable clincher rim (a fixer-upper), $10; New Day timer, $10; 1915 steering column, $30; 1915 coil box, $35; Five #2335 wrenches, $5; Two new tire pump hoses, $20; Two steering gear covers, $5; Bronze Holley G carb, $10; Hanging out and visiting, priceless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 12:23 pm:

Eddy,
How about a photo of the bumper?
Thanks!!!
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 03:16 pm:

Eddy - being an old guy, I have learned several swap meet lessons the hard way:
1) if you see something you want/need you better buy it cause when you come back 10 minutes later it will be gone. Fortunately the bumper was still there.
2) if you paid $10 for something 20 years ago it's going to cost more today or the first seller didn't know what he had.

If you need it, do as you did - negotiate the best price you can. Twenty years is a long time to look for something. I passed on a nice matched pair of 1926 Texas farm trucks plates. Guy wouldn't come down from $20. I have never seen any more in the last 40 years.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 03:30 pm:

It's fun to see parts you sold become someone elses treasure. Enjoy those door latches Jerome.

Eddy, glad you got the bumper. I was there looking at the speedometer when you bought the bumper. Glad you got it. You would have been kicking yourself if you didn't

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

Did the "Pull-Ford" sell or does anyone know who the seller was?
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 04:42 pm:

I bought a set of AC brakes and a set of nice triple gears.

Also, bought a BEAUTIFUL reproduction ignition coil for my 1904 Curved Dash Olds from John Regan. I didn't realize he was making them until I saw one in his booth. It is so nice I think I'll keep it on the mantle until the car is ready for it. Absolute work of art!!! Made my whole trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 05:11 pm:

Got a great deal on a 20" rim,a set of rim bolts and clamps and two 20" lock rings for my TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 10:41 pm:

eddy! I am vary happy to see the bumpers together, but I think you paid to much for yours, I paid $15.00 2 yrs.' ago at uncle bills sale in ks city.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 10:22 pm:

the pull ford is on model T havens website now, so he bought it, still for sale, just more money

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration