Model A rear end in my T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model A rear end in my T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Gement on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 06:42 am:

When I started to restore my T I diiscovered that the rear had been changed. The car has been stored in my barn for 30 something yrs. It had wood wheels on front and wire wheels on rear. I wanted to have all wire wheels and this is when the discovery was made. Has anyone heard of this being done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 08:03 am:

The Model A has 3.78:1 gears, very close to to the Model T's 3.64:1, so if the installation was well designed, the more modern A axle design should outlast most Model T axles. Haven't heard about many such conversions, maybe the Model A driveshaft housing was cut and the front end of a Model T driveshaft housing was welded to it?

Convert the rear drums to cast iron or put reinforcing bands on the old drums and maybe you can use the A rear drums as your primary brake?
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/119
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/122

The 1926/27 Model T wire wheels looks very much like 1928/29 21" Model A wheels. They are rarer and thus more expensive than A wheels and you need special wire wheel hubs for them to fit, but you need expensive adaptors to fit a Model A wheel to a Model T wood wheel hub too, and the all Model T solution for the front wheels is better engineered in my view, so I would be looking for T front wires and hubs and use '28/'29 A wheels in the rear. Model T wires has a 5" bolt circle while Model A's has a 5.5" bolt circle. Model A wire wheels has a reinforcing bead between each hub bolt hole while Model T wires are smooth between the holes.

Very early A's had different hubs and different wheels, later wheels doesn't match - check Model A sites to identify whet you've got.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 08:45 am:

Paul,
Look very closely and see if it's actually a Model A rear end. More common 30-40 years ago was to redo the wood wheel hubs to accept the 21" Model A wires that could be had for about $10 each compared to $50-100 for T wires. I've got 3 T's done that way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Gement on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 11:50 am:

Mike., look at my post of Louisiana license plates from yesterday. I posted a picture that shows the rear end. See what you think. Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 11:56 am:

Yep. That's a model A rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Gement on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 12:06 pm:

Roger, Thanks for the reply and infomation on the rear axle. After closer observation I discovered that the drums are cast and were being used as additional braking. It must have been a well engineered job. The spline on the model A was machined square and the model T bell welded onto the model A drive tube . The original universal joint was shortened a bit for clearance. I attached the brake rods to be activated by the brake petal as they were using the hand brake. I now have the benifit of a speedometer and additional braking. I used adabters to be able to use the model a wire wheels on the front. Cannot wait to try all of this out. Thanks, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 12:40 pm:

Paul, you may be the fellow I have been looking for!

Back in the 1950's I lived in New Orleans, and I owned a 1925 Touring car with wire wheels on the back and wood on the front. Its motor number was 12109413. I got a call from someone in Florida many years ago who had the car, but I lost his name, and have wondered where it is.

Could it be you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Gement on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

Peter, This vehicle was titled in 25 butis actually a 26. It has been as far as I can trace it back a huckster and belonged to a plumber who sold it to Clayton Borne Hardware on Tulane ave. could be that the same people could have modified your old touring car too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 03:39 pm:

All this is possible! Do I have the motor number correct? 12109413.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Gement on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 07:51 pm:

Peter, I will check when I get home. I'm at my hunting camp right now. I thought you had a touring car? This body was built by a custom fabricator but I don't know what year. I thought the truck had been in the hardware store from before the war. I'll check and let you know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 09:55 pm:

Paul,
It's amazing what some folks have done with T's. Looks like you have a nice setup there. In 1959, I attended part of the 2nd grade in Mandeville when my dad was working on a pipeline there.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration