Allen Coil Tester----What's it worth?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Allen Coil Tester----What's it worth?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 02:48 pm:

So a friend of mine called this morning and he found this HCCT tester for sale. It turns, but is missing the electrode and the gauge doesn't work. The rest looks complete and decent. I have to make an offer. I wanted to be fair, so I figured I would ask the experts. Thanks in advance. Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 04:56 pm:

I'll give 50 bucks and drive up from Tn. and get it! :-} Seriously on ebay it would go for as much as 1200. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 05:21 pm:

Non-working one at Chickasha was being offered for $950. Don't think it sold don't remember the maker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 05:38 pm:

So as far as hcct testers go, is this an early or late? Would it be a good one to fix and use or are there ones that are better than others? Just looking for some background. Sometimes I like the old tools more than my T, sometimes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 06:07 pm:

Except for the gauge the might just need the cob webs removed (LOL) from non use, the pointer which can be gotten and the choke (I don't think it's needed to checking coils) which Lang's may still carry if bad, should work as well as any other.
If you get it, take it apart clean and paint, grease the shaft, charge the magnets and fix the meter and use it. :-)
Looks just like the one I have sitting in the shop before it got painted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 06:10 pm:

I got $800 for one in very good operating condition several years ago. I use an original "motorized" KR Wilson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 06:28 pm:

Paul,

FYI - It would be about $200 to refurbish the meter depending on what was wrong with it. Does the pointer move at all?

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 07:30 pm:

The price on those things should be falling in the near future. Way too clunky as compared to you-know-what !!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 07:39 pm:

Paul:

Could be the coil in the tester has open secondary winding ? Have a chance to use tester with known good coil ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 08:40 pm:

He is missing the electrode that would make the sparks as the disk is turned.

Here is a photo of the back side of that disk and the missing electrode on one like it that I restored.

Disk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 09:01 pm:

Thanks for the info so far. I have not physically had my hands on it yet to check it over. I am awaiting an email from the owner to go take a look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 09:49 pm:

Not working or unknown, 4-600.00. Working, you can get 900.00 or more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 10:32 pm:

Paul
I have been buying, selling and restoring Model T Ford hand cranked ignition coil testers for over 25 years.
You are welcome to contact me directly for a fair status and price evaluation of your HCCT.
I will spare you opinions and uninformed forward looking statements which are not based in fact.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 01:39 am:

Yep, Ron is the man to talk to! Personally I like my home built fine, rewound my own mag ring and with parts I bought I have about 30 bucks in it. Would have liked an original but being poor makes you come up with alternatives. Gary Tilstrom made up a set of plans for everyone interested a few years back, lots have been built from them. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 05:38 am:

Agreed that the only accurate measure of what it's worth would likely come from Ron. He has more experience and has owned / refurbished more than probably anyone in the hobby.

As to the home built HCCT's, I have always believed that would be a perfect project for a chapter to tackle. But, it is such an easy project that anyone can have one for not much money.

I understand that there is a coolness factor in having an original but the difference in $ will put a lot of beer in the garage fridge!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 07:56 am:

I have rebuilt 6 HCCTs and I have two repros (the type sold by Langs). Ron contributed parts or information on all six of them, including where to get two meters rebuilt and the electrode in the above photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 09:15 am:

Nice find. That is the most desirable model of the Allen HCCTs. It's got the most practical layout for testing coils in volume. I bought a field fresh one from Ron several years ago and restored it. Once I put it in service, I sold my Ford HCCT and never looked back. I've run over a thousand coils through it without a glitch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 09:29 am:

I should add that you can get the electrode from Bob Scherzer, he posts here on the forum sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:44 am:

If the meter dial is in bad condition I have new dial plate artwork for both the Weston and Jewel meters if you need one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 03:38 pm:

I got one for free from a guy who paid $2 for it. BUT......that doesn't happen to me very often. He didn't know what it was. I told him what he had and he said he wasn't a T guy and it sounded like I needed it worse than he did. He said to come see him and he would make me an offer I couldn't refuse. The only thing he wanted in return was that I bring it back to him and show him how it worked after I restored it. It had an interesting story behind it. It had come out of the auto shop of the "Colored" high school in Claxton, GA.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration