OT - Ram pick up owners opinion.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Ram pick up owners opinion.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 09:40 pm:

Soon looking for a used Ram 1500. I have a question regarding the dodge v-8. The 4.7 is 310 hp and the 5.7 is 380 hp. Who has the 4.7 and what is your opinion as far as power. Also, for those who have the 5.7, I heard there is 16 spark plugs and is high maintenance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 09:56 pm:

I have owned Ford, Chevy and GMC trucks. I am now enjoying my 5Th Dodge a 1500 SLT with a 4.7 flex fuel engine. On the highway (65 mph / cruise control), I average 28 miles per gallon. When pulling a T in a trailer I average 19. I will continue to be a Dodge owner as they have always proven (to me) to very reliable. Opinions may vary:D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark Eyre on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 10:00 pm:

Have had one of each loved them both. The 4.7 was under powered for trailer towing but a good daily driver. My new one is a 13 1500 with 5.7 bought in Dec of this year in a 4x4. Completely satisfied with the 4.7 but slightly under power. 5.7 I have towed with yet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 10:41 pm:

IMHO the Dodge with Cummins diesel is the only truck for anyone who actually needs a truck--very costly though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 12:38 am:

I have a 2004 Dodge 1500 4x4 w/ 5.7 hemi I bought new and now has 122K miles. With exception to one set of brake pads and set of tires (normal wear)still running original plugs and I've had no maintenance issues. Empty: 18 +mpg highway- 14 running around. Pulling 20 ft enclosed trailer loaded down with larger brass cars or antique tractors (around 6,000 lbs), I'll get about 10 mpg. Pulling up a hill, it's not like a diesel, so you gotta rev them up, typically 4,000 rpms....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 09:10 am:

I am curious to learn more about the V-6 diesel that Dodge will be using in their 1500 later this year. The specs look pretty impressive. Durability would be my big concern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 09:33 am:

thank you all for your info. i figured i'll get more honest info from owners as appossed to dealers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 09:35 am:

Out of curiosity I looked at a dually, 4 door diesel 4X4 Dodge at a tractor show last year. It was a 2014 I think and had every bell and whistle. Seems like it was 65,0000?
Alot of funds for a truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 09:43 am:

I have a 2006 Ram 2500 with the Cummins Diesel. It has been a magnificent truck. Pulls anything, averages over 20MPG empty and over 15 MPG pulling a 15000 pound trailer. I recommend the 2006 Dodge 2500. From what I've heard you should avoid the 2007 - 2008 Cummins Diesel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:21 am:

Royce, it that a manual or auto?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:23 am:

my 89 diesel dodge has done 28 mpg, average about 24-25, no computer and you can see the ground all around the engine, and identify its few parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 07:56 pm:

I see some very impressive numbers here. Wish I could duplicate some of those. We have 2004
3/4 ton, 4 door, 4x4, 8' bed with a cap, 5.9 liter Cummins and 4 speed automatic tranny.
I write down every fill up at the pump, and all I can say is that the trip computer lies!
Yes, we are very happy with our Dodge 2500. After retiring with 36 & 1/3 years behind me at Chrysler, I didn't have a lot of choices when purchasing a truck.
I'd like to see Dodge, now Ram, offer an Allison automatic behind that Cummins. That would be an awesome combination!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:33 pm:

I have a 99 3500 Dodge with the cummins and would not trade it for another truck of any kind. It has been a very good truck and after I had the tranny rebuilt and upgraded and the brakes done with the best parts I could get it is great. I pull a 16X8' enclosed trailer and get 14 MPG loaded or empty. All these high mileage numbers are hard to believe. I have never gotten over 16 MPG since the fuel dropped from 500ppm to todays 10ppm. Still, I like the Dodge and only would trade if I could get 4 doors and 4X4 with 6 speed manual shift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 11:19 pm:

My 2003, 3500 w/cummins, 2 wheel drive, 6 speed manual, dually got 17 daily until I put the Banks Eng module on it--went to almost 21 just normal daily running around. Best ever on a trip hauling/pulling nothing was 24mpg. Recently dropped to 17, and I noticed the sticker on the pump at Flying J--"CONTAINS 8-20% BIODIESEL." Changed brands and doing better--not yet checked it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 11:34 pm:

Mine's for sale. 2007, Ram 1500 quad cab. 4 x 4 5.7, pretty well loaded up, auto, two speed transfer, 20 inch wheels, etc. , 110,000 I think, maybe 120,000. Has some box damage and will need tires before too much longer. Around $10,000, which is quite a bit less than book because of the damage to the box.

Easily the worst seats I have ever seen in a pickup. I can't sit in it more than a couple hundred miles and usually not even that far without getting out and walking around. Worst trip I ever took was to Chickasha by myself. I couldn't walk for two days after I got home. I should have spent $500 on the seat when I bought it instead of having 6 years of pain. These were the upgrade power seats, too. TERRIBLE!!!! Thin little foam on a bent tin pan. No possible way to get comfortable even with a gel seat cushion. Other than that and the cheap plastic interior it's a good truck. Ate a couple batteries, finally put a new Duracell in it and it is fine. Gas mileage is as expected. 15-16 on the road empty, 9 pulling a trailer. No more Dodge for me. Anybody who would put a seat that bad in a 35,000 pickup doesn't need my business. Bought it new, by the way. One owner. Be on craigslist this week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 07:36 am:

Dave,

It's a Daimler Benz 6 speed automatic. 2006 was the year the DB transmission replaced the GM Allison unit, and is one of the reasons the truck gets such good mileage, along with the brilliant Cummins engine.

The Body was made in Mexico, the transmission in Germany, so the vehicle is classified as an import by the US Department of Commerce.

Interestingly, my truck was assembled in the Hamtramck, Michigan plant. This is the plant where Model T chassis were manufactured by Dodge Brothers from 1910 through 1914.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 08:24 am:

The dodge Cummins 5.9 was a great engine I upgraded to the 6.x never will I have another dodge diesel it spent more time in the shop than I used it had to cancel plans for at least 4 out of town trips because the turbo kept popping codes and going home @ 35 MPH towing a trailer is horrible JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 12:30 pm:

2002 RAM 1500, Quad cab, 2WD, 6' bed, 4.7 engine. I get about 17 mpg on highway, 14 around town (empty). Only towed a trailer once, and got about 9 mpg on a 1,000 mile round-trip. Heater is terrible. Cold air on driver side, warm air on passenger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J Williams on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 07:14 pm:

I have a 94 dodge 3500 reg. cab 8ft box 5.9 Cummings
4x4dually greatest truck it never needs anything but good
Maintainence it turned 100,000 miles a month ago
It has a 8 ft 2 in boss v blade and pushes snow like a pay loader I have pulled dozers logs cars campers trailers of all
Descriptions even a 55ft bridge 4ft wide 12 ft high span
It gets 14 mpg loaded 17 empty forgot to mention auto trans.
I love my truck
Jim w.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 07:48 pm:

For what it's worth I run a Ford F250 then a F-350 diesel and towing I get 11.5 and I have more power than I will ever use. The new diesel is quiet and pretty maintenance free. The urea system is strange but ok to deal with. I had a 2006 power stroke which was my all time favorite truck, but my 2011 has all the gadgets and comforts of home.

I have always been a ford guy with the exception of a Chevy Tahoe once. Never again.

I always liked the way the dodges looked, but durability issues were a question stuck in my head due to front end concerns at around 80k miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 05:03 am:

Stan, can you imagine making the round trip to Chickasha in your Dodge? Glad you got your Subaru, Huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 09:42 am:

The only problem I have with the Ford diesel is if the engine has to be removed, the cab has to come off first. Who thought up that great idea?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 10:23 am:

just looking under the hood of a power stroke is enough to make me run. completely full wall to wall of stuff i can't even identify. they take the cab off for many maintainence things, not just to remove the motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 11:44 am:

Terry, I've been to Chickasha twice in my Dodge. Cost more for the Chiropractor when I got back than it cost me to buy dinner at Ken's for the people I took to dinner.

I have to be fair and say it's been a good pickup other than the seats. That seemed to be a bigger problem in 2007 than before or since. It's also true that I should have listened to my next older brother. He said, "Look, you bought that POS for $13,000 off MSRP and they leased it to you for no money down and the rest of your life to pay it off. Go spend $500 fixing the seats and quit sniveling about it." I should have done that.

Mine has never once been in the shop or even back to the dealer. My deal with any vehicle is if I have to take it to the shop to be worked on somebody else is going to own it. I have the oil changed regularly, run Castrol 5-20 with Lucas Oil Conditioner and put a set of plugs in it at 100,000, other than that it has had nothing done to it besides a couple batteries. For some reason it is hard on batteries. I put a Duracell in it this time so it is good forever. Had 2 Interstates after the factory Exide, the Interstates died pretty quick. I also had an alignment done when I put the last set of tires on it. Nothing else. Mechanically, it's been bulletproof. I just have never liked it and it is about as uncomfortable as any pickup could possibly be. My 84 Ford bench seat is more comfortable and my 92 F-250 Super Duty with captain's chairs is far more comfortable on a long trip than this thing is.

I'm not in as big a need of a pickup as I used to be and have a 68 F-100 4 x 4, an 84 F-150 4 x 4, a 92 F-250 4 x 4, an IHC Scout 4 x 4 and this Dodge. I'm going to sell this and the 92, buy an older Ford that will pull a trailer and get rid of a couple of the older ones. Get some things off the insurance bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 01:25 pm:

Stan, I had a similar experience with a 75 Toyota pickup. Remember Toyota pickups when they first entered the US market? Beer cans and the smallest POS you could buy. I, finally removed the Toyota bench seat and replaced it with two bucket seats from a Ford Pinto. It didn't smooth Toyota's bone jarring suspension, but it did make it easier on my butt and back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 01:36 pm:

The seats in my new Subaru aren't all that great either. Nobody builds a seat with springs anymore, they have all gone to the cheap pan with a little foam on it. I've been disgusted with myself for a week over a 79 Eldo that was on ebay in Colorado that I didn't buy. It was exactly like two I wore out in the 80's. More comfortable than a Lazy Boy and I could drive 18 hours with nothing but a stop for gas. I don't know of any new outfit I could do that in, for sure not a Dodge pickup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:32 pm:

My 99 3500 is the best truck I ever had other than the seats didn't feel right to me so I raised the front up to tilt it back and now it fits me like it should. Only thing I don't trust is the transmission because I hear they don't hold up on these trucks from this year. So far no problems other than the 2 wheel drive is no good in mud or snow and at about 200,000 miles I had to rebuild the front end. Don't know if or when it was done before since the front end was shot when I bought the truck along with tires and brakes. The way I use it and take care of it this truck should outlast me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 07:16 pm:

Have to put in a plug for the Dodge Dakota I have been driving for well over 100,000 miles, which I bought after it was totaled, with 30,000 miles on it and rebuilt by Chrysler who also continued the 100K warrantee. It is a 2001 4dr 2 w/d with the 4.7 engine. It has towed lots of things during this time and I was told after my last oil change, that it is running like new. I change the synthetic oil every 4,000 miles and have never been stuck in sand, mud or snow. I live in Flagstaff, AZ at 7,000 ft above sea level so most trips are higher, lower and back up hills. I wish they would continue making good trucks instead of "improving" them. I average more that 20 miles per gallon on a yearly basis as I keep track of trips and gas expense. It takes 87 octane with or without corn (ethanol). Needs paint as the repaint job is coming off.
Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 04:43 pm:

Don't have a Ram but if I were to buy new I would get the new 1/2 ton diesel Ram.

Current truck is a Chevy 2500HD Duramax, great powertrain but crappy everything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 08:35 pm:

need some help!!!got a 99 dodge 1500 with 318 cc I like the truck a lot but it uses a qt of oil every 500 mi.no leaks, no smoke .tail pipe is dry, pvc valve is clear, cad converter is gone.it has 105,000 k miles on it. anybody got any ideas??????????thanks charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 11:17 pm:

If its not leaking, it has to be burning. Perhaps not burning to the point that you can see it the smoke from the drivers seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 12:07 am:

I've got a 2008 2500 4X4 Chev with the Vortec gas engine in it. I get 12 mpg no matter what I'm doing with it. I pull my 5th wheel and get 12 mpg, I run empty and get12 mpg. It has a standard cab with a few frills. I park it outside all Winter and it always starts. It has a long box and a very comfortable seat and interior. I had a 2004 4X4 f150 Ford. I've owned Ford trucks since 1984. Before that it was always 1/2 ton Chev 2 wheel drive trucks. I wouldn't buy a Chevrolet truck made after 1976 because they went down the road like a hippo. That is until I bought my 2500. I love my truck. As far as the mileage goes; if I was going to worry about it I'd buy a Volkswagon diesel Rabbit. Those darn things got 54 mpg. I've owned Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler cars. I had two 318 cu in engines and neither could take much abuse. However my son had a 318 cu in in a 4X4 Dakota and we couldn't kill it. The frame rotted out from under it but it just kept going. I finally waited till he had his back turned and I got rid of it. The darn thing was too dangerous to drive. I never had a Mopar that didn't have some kind of electronic issues. I have no intentions of ever owning a car that wasn't designed and built in the U.S. And has been for more than 80 years. My brother bought a Toyota Tundra and went on about it till I nearly puked. Just the name gets me to wretch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 12:42 am:

I will second Stan on this. I travel a lot in my job and usually rent a different car, van, or SUV every time I land and need transportation. Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep products have the worst seats of any thing I have ever rented. I could not drive any of them for more than a few hours. As a result my daily driver is a King Ranch F150. I can drive it 12 or more hours straight while only stopping for gas. The only regret I have with it is that I bought a gas model. Wish I had bought a diesel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 01:03 am:

First, Charley's question....it's the plenum cover on the bottom of the intake manifold. The gaskets go bad & the motor slowly sucks the oil thru the joint & out the tail pipe without you noticing it.

2nd, 4.7 vs 5.7....I was an engineer who worked on both engine projects. The 5.7L is the better motor. The 4.7 has a tendancy to sludge up if you don't keep up with oil changes or use it in hot strenuous conditions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 12:51 pm:

mike!! good idea, but the plenum is dry as a bone inside. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 01:06 pm:

Here's a link to a Technical Service Bulleting (TSB) describing how to test for a plenum cover leak:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/09-05-00.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 01:20 pm:

For you guys who don't like the stock seats, here's a suggestion. Ditch them and put in bucket seats from a 1968 Renault R-10 (if you can find them). Possibly the most comfortable seats ever used in an automobile. Forty years ago I bought a used Jeep wagon. I replaced the Jeep seats with some R-10 seats I bought from a salvage yard. They were absolutely wonderful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 10:14 pm:

Yeah but Steve, 40 years ago your butt was 40 years younger. You might've set down on a one legged milking stool and thought it was comfy! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration