I need some information about getting a enclosed trailer?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: I need some information about getting a enclosed trailer?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Ventrice on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 10:35 pm:

Hi, I have a 1923 Model t touring and I would like to get a enclosed trailer but I was told I would need to get a custom built one, any suggestions in whats the best economical size that would fit it with some room. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 10:55 pm:

There's lots of variables. You've got to determine what you need, what you have to tow with, can you store it, will it be your garage, how much you want to spend, what else you will haul, and, on and on. Here's a recent discussion you should check out. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/430042.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 01:02 am:

If I was having one custom built I would ensure I could drive my T in there TOP UP!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 08:44 am:

It will be a bit hard to customize a trailer for a T with the top up. Because the door entrance would have to be so high to fit the T in with the top up it would make the trailer very high. Pulling such a trailer would not be very cost effective because of the emess wind drag. My enclosed V nose trailer fits my T just right with the top down and is almost level with the top of my truck cap. With that I end up with between 12 and 18 mph depending on speed. I could not imagine the MPG I would get if I had another four feet sticking up above the truck cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:15 am:

Anthony......

I started the prior thread on trailers and have been doing a little research.

Minimum size: 8 by 16 with at least at 6 ft door entrance that will allow most open cars to enter with the top down. The interior of the trailer will wind up being 6-6. Obviously you will have to keep the too down. They will custom make them taller and the price will go up a few hundred dollars.

The question becomes what will you haul with. If you are not going far and not very often, this is not a huge issue. On the other hand....

You will want duel axles with brakes.

Here in the Southeast - the price will be someplace between 4,200 and 5,000. Wait time: 3-8 weeks depending on vendor.

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 05:42 pm:

Get a WIDE trailer like others have recommended. Here's another reason, The cables for the rear ramp door are set inside the edge of the trailer. This can make it hard when you are backing your car out. It's easy to catch the right side cable with your car as you go down the ramp.
Don't ask how I know... I now only use only one cable so it gives me extra clearance.

Get the wider trailer so you have more room inside too. you won't regret it.
I'd go for the taller trailer as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 06:18 pm:

I caught my left front hub cap on that cable once. It only takes one time. I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 06:52 pm:

Offset those tie down tracks to the drivers side a little so you have more room to get in and out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 07:50 pm:

My T hauler is a custom made Wells Cargo. Tall enough for closed cars and an 11 touring makes it in with the top up. I have a wind bubble on the front to lessen wind drag. I also have legs in the back that swing down so you can load and unload a car without having to have the trailer hitched to a vehicle and I have a small 'door' in the front to allow access from the out side or winch a car in. The trailer is 8.5 by 16. There are also small ramps that fold out on the ramp door for a smooth ride onto the door ramp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 08:54 pm:

Anthony, This is one of my trailers

this picture is from Chickasha this year. This trailer will hold two of your 23 Touring cars as pictured in your profile picture. I bought it used last year and this was it's maiden voyage, I have a few wrinkles to iron out now. I have added a link from last years forum discussing it, with pictures. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/382855.html My other trailer is a 6 X 12 single axle no brakes open style with a wire floor. Both trailers have can haul a T but were each bought for different purposes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:58 pm:

Have one made taller, wider and longer than you think you will need. Yes: It is more expensive to tow, but you can fill it up, walk around inside with a car loaded and do not have to lower touring top to load. Get electric tongue jack, DC and AC lights inside, dual torflex axles with brakes, side and rear ramp door, V nose, and weld lengths of rebar around the inside at various heights to hang stuff of. Various placement of floor mounted swivel D rings for tie downs and mount a spare in the rear on one side with small floor jack in a box and 4 way lug wrench and you are good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 11:43 pm:

On e-bay, in Pearson Georgia....you can get a new 8.5 x 16 enclosed trailer with V-nose for $3390.00 see item# 221397769534

If you want other options....like taller....they will build it according to the advertisement.

I have bought a lot of items on e-bay and have not been scammed. There many enclosed trailers advertised....the price on this one is very low.

You won't find a new enclosed car trailer priced any where near this in Califunny.

I had my trailer specially built by Royal Cargo in Ind.

Good luck trailer shopping

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 01:59 am:

I agree with the comments about ensuring you can drive the car in without dropping the top. I my case there is no alternative as I have a depot hack that is 85 inches at the highest point. I had an eight foot interior trailer built, (they build them in 6 inch increments from the normal standard of 6'6") because I had to make sure the door opening was high enough. I also wanted to make sure that the roof of the hack didn't bounce up against the roof of the trailer when towing. As to the issue of economy because of the extra height, I use the trailer about three times a year and for a total distance on average about two to three thousand miles. The extra gas on the Ford E250 Super Duty with the 5.4 engine is hardly noticeable compared to towing an open trailer that I use for business. My recommendation would be to order an 8'6' wide by 16' minimum long by 8' high. If I had to do it again I would make mine 20' long so I could if needed use it for larger cars. Just saying, Dick C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 12:30 pm:

Here's another idea.. I have a door on each side. It's very handy especially when the parking get crowded or your doing some work there.
I got mine used in Las Vegas from Craigslist.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration