Another newbie question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Another newbie question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 01:35 am:

Can anyone on this forum from Ma. tell me what is needed to pass inspection on a model t?..I have looked on the state website, but like usual it is totally pathetic and unhelpful. Do i need to add blinkers, a plate light, exterior mirrors, seat belts? Or am i grandfathered in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 06:05 am:

This will depend on the plates. Registered as an
antique its only a safty issue (as the car was)
when manufactured. good tires, good king pins,
such as- if it has a light or horn make sure it works. Regular passenger plates i would be a good
idea to have two stop and tail lights signals horn
wiper seatbelts exempt for all- before 1967.
most of this is under chap 90 sec 7. If indoubt
just go the place where you get your stickers and
ask them. However this state is notorious for
changing / adding new laws 3AM on a Sunday morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert C.(Bob) Borden on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:28 am:

Good morning John,
The 1st or 2nd Saturday in May Paul Lucchetti runs an inspection day at his service center on route 139 in Marshfield for all antique and classic car owners who are members of the Old Colony Model T Club and the South Shore Antique Car Club. Line up starts at 8 am, price includes breakfast. The inspection is appropriate to the vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:40 am:

In my state ( and I suspect, in most) the car only has to have those items that were on the car at time of manufacture and all of these must be in good working order (although no one will ever know but you).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:41 am:

I don't know whether this will help, but I just go to my local Goodyear Service Station and they do a basic safety check—which is to say, they make sure all present safety equipment is working, including my head and tail-lights, and they make sure my brakes work. Modern emissions requirements are not applicable, so no worries there.

Seat belts and other such equipment are not required on cars produced without them by the original manufacturer at the time of original manufacture, so no service station can LEGITIMATELY fail your car for not having windshield wipers, for instance.

At this point, the easiest thing would be for you to phone any local inspection station, state the situation and see what they have to say. Some won't touch antique cars and others will. If you cannot locate a Flivver-friendly inspection station, you might want to contact your local chapter of the Antique Automobile Club of America and they'll have service station recommendations for you.

Regardless of whether your state requires it, you should ascertain that your windshield is made of safety glass, otherwise you're one short stop away from sticking your head in a guillotine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:54 am:

Regarding safety glass, do a search for it in the forum, there are several threads about it.

My 1923 touring / pickup conversion came to me with its original plate glass. I removed the windshield frames and took them to the local town glass shop, they did a great job of removing the old glass from the frames and installing safety glass in its place. I had the frames back in a week and the price was very reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 03:20 pm:

Years ago, when I took my 26 T to be inspected in Texas, the inspector insisted he had to drive the car. His boss had a giant fit and told the young fellow he was nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 09:38 am:

Samuel is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

Wow.......according to the above I guess there is at least ONE thing in Wisconsin that isn't screwed up.
I have bought seven titled old vehicles and of those seven the titles on two hadn't been registered by the sellers and were titled in the previous sellers' names.
In those two cases I left out those little details and had no problem updating the titles....... :-)
No inspections were required but I did have to submit photos of the three I licensed with "Collector" plates to prove their originality.
Both T's have "Antique" plates for which photos were also required.
I have no idea what kind of ceremony would be involved to title an untitled vehicle.
I've HEARD it can't be done....... :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 08:34 pm:

FL is fairly gentle on us old car guys with the Horseless Plates and cars older than '27. Generally just the mfg. supplied items needed.

But in other sections, requirements are safety glass in windshield, and reflector on rear, along with a rear view mirror. But reality tells you to add a stop lamp, and extra lights out back as you travel at less road speed than a modern.

Golly, some states are over the top, saved this off a post a few years ago, the T'er had to have his T tested for emissions!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration