One family owned Duncan and Fraser

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: One family owned Duncan and Fraser
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 04:36 am:

see:

http://www.rcc.on.net/RCC/RCC.asp?Type=Vehicle&SitePageId=710

Anyone know this car? Must be a sad day when such a car is sold on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 04:52 am:

Constantine,

Someone has their information wrong here. That car has the" Ford Australia Geelong Body "

Best Regards, John Page

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 05:08 am:

John,

You might be right. I didn't think D&F were still making cars in 1926, but the car is for sale in South Australia. David C. will know for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 05:31 am:

I believe this is being sold by Gary Rainsford in his showroom. Gary is a dealer, so the car is not his. Yes, it is a 1926 Geelong Ford, not a Duncan & Fraser. I can drop in on gary during the week and have look at the car and find out who owns it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 05:34 am:

OK, just clicked on the link. Duh!!! Joyce Galway is well known to us, although I haven't seen her in probably 20 plus years I suppose. I must say I am surprised she is even still alive. The car is genuine and should make a nice car for someone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 05:56 am:

So it is a 1926 D&F? If so, how rare is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 08:06 am:

No, the car is a Geelong Ford assembled all steel 1926 tourer. I think the price is way too high. Late brassies are changing hands for under $20k. 26-27's are fairly common and not that unusual. I think the real value would be a little over $10K.

I remember Joyce from years ago in the Ford 'T' Register days, she was seeking to have somebody restore the car. I know it was professionally restored, but I don't know who by.

As for Duncan & Fraser, they did not exist as Ford agents from October 1920 onwards. The Ford agents were Duncan Motors Limited. Duncan & Fraser made the bodies etc. but sold the cars to Duncan Motors, hence they do not have Duncan & Fraser on the car anywhere, only the Duncan Motors plaque on the dashboard. With the formation of Ford Australia in March 1925 Duncan Motors were demoted to an urban dealer like everybody else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Henry on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 08:54 am:

Shouldn't a Geelong body be timber framed? I know our 27 Tourer has a lot of wood in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 12:00 pm:

David, thanks for the info. Late brassies are changing hands for under $20k? That cheap? Are we talking well restored cars?

Being RHD and Australia made, if it is a good as it looks in the photos, $14-15K would not be unreasonable. There's never a huge amount of well restored Ts available in Australia like there is in the USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 04:25 pm:

I think your right Dave H, I have both a 26 and a 27 Geelong and both are timber framed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 05:00 am:

The Ford factory at Geelong produced the 26-7 improved Fords as shown. The bodies do have a base of timber, but there is no timber in the framing of the panels and doors, other than that needed to take upholstery nails. The bodies look like their US counterparts, which are all steel

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 05:28 am:

Curiosity got the better of me Allan, so crawled over the 26 and the 27 with a torch, I would agree that the doors are pressed steel ones but the rest seems to be still wood framed, ie, the door hinge screws on the body sides still screw into wood, seat framing and for what can be seen any higher are wood and like you said the base as in rails from body to chassis are wood and so all the framing to hold the floor boards as well, basically the doors them selves are about all that's steel for what I can see on my 2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 05:56 am:

The front floor risers off the main rails are also timber. Also timber up inside the cowl for front door hinges.Seat base frames are timber and built up off the main rails. Lots of timber inside a Canadian 26'. Even though they do look the same as the USA Models they are a very different body internally. I will take some pictures of some old frame I have here to post for comparison with the USA models.
David, I think the car is fairly well priced. It is a beautiful looking restoration, with low miles and with all that history. If I owned it, considering what must have been spent on its restoration I would not want to sell it for less. Hopefully it will go to a good home and be back on the road at a club event soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 07:48 am:

The market will decide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 10:21 am:

It's still available it seems.

Did Geelong open cars have leather interiors?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration