Are you interested in learning wax sculpting for bronze casting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Are you interested in learning wax sculpting for bronze casting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 12:02 pm:

I have taken some courses in bronze casting at Red Deer college. I have talked them into adding a extra week focusing strictly on the wax sculpting part. Now I need to ensure that enough people sign up to be sure it proceeds.
http://rdc.ab.ca/continuing-education/course/ESER/6189
Also followed by a 2 week course on the rest of the bronze casting process.
http://rdc.ab.ca/continuing-education/course/ESER/6021

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 04:18 pm:

Les,
Wish Red Deer, AB., was a little closer. The investment casting process is very interesting, versatile and useful. It can produce parts very close to "net shape". I think turbine blades for jet engines are made that way, and an example most of us have seen close up; the pliers part of
multi-tools, like "Leatherman", are usually made this way, only in steel, not bronze. Go for a class in steel too, and your skills could be very useful.
Roar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 05:30 pm:

Roar
The skills are totally transferable to steel. I know a foundry that will pour 4340 etc into a lost wax "investment"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 07:24 pm:

Hello Les: When I started working in the early 60's at Union Carbide Canada in Toronto, my step-father was a foreman in the "jet-turbine blade" department,where the girls assembled wax turbine blades to form branches of a "tree", that was then coated with a liquid porcelain,-to produce the mould- that once cured, permitted the wax to be melted out, leaving a perfectly solid mould.In the vacuum induction furnaces, molten Stelite and/or Hastelloy alloys were poured into these moulds.When the metal had cooled,the porcelain covering was shattered away and about 20 beautiful turbine blades could be sawn off at their root. Another team of girls polished the blades to the high sheen of the finished product. Tolerances were always kept within a few thousandths of an inch! Obviously there is much automation involved in this process today.

The lost wax or investment casting procedure is an excellent process used in many fields- (gold and silver jewellery comes to mind).I am about to use this process to cast some "brass rear deck rack legs" for a 1904 Curved Dash Oldsmobile. Great fun indeed. WTF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 12:53 pm:

F.M.C. used investment casting to produce the parts on the 100th anniversary T's such as front axles and spindles, that were formerly produced by the drop-forging process .

What does that tell you about investment casting?!?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 01:14 pm:

LOL William your signature at the end is hilarious. I know those are your initials but generally WTF is associated with "what the _uck". Whether intentional or not on your part this is still hilarious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 08:41 pm:

River firearms uses lost wax casting, read about it here.
http://www.ruger.com/casting/index.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 09:10 pm:

Retired folk just have too much fun!

Garnet

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration