Rocky Mountain Brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Rocky Mountain Brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Knudsen on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 04:42 pm:

I am also converting to Rocky Mountain brakes. I see that I can get the kit for about $815 for my 17 Touring. I suppose I also need the pedal since I am not a welder. It looks like a couple bolts also have to be ordered. Is there anything else I will need? thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 05:30 pm:

You need all 12 bolts and nuts. You should also order axle taper shims. You will need to take off the small drum fOR the parking brake and put the larger drum on closest to the hub, then the smaller drum inside. Then peen the bolts so the nuts won't back off. Try the hub on the axle without the key, and if things inside scrape, try again with the shim in place. It should not scrape if everything is fitted correctly. Sometimes it might be necessary to do a little grinding of the brake shoes or the bolts to get it to stop scraping. Then, remove the hub and install the key and torque to 100 ft lbs. After you drive around a while, check the torque again.

It is important to keep the parking brake in operating condition, because the Rocky Mountain brake will not keep it from rolling backward on a hill. The parking brake should be adjusted to apply one notch before the Rocky mountain brake so that you have both brakes operating when you pull hard on the lever.

Adjust the transmission brake to take hold with pedal about 1 inch above floorboard. The Rocky Brake should apply just before the transmission brake so that if you push hard on the pedal, both sets of brakes will operate.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 10:14 am:

If the RM brakes were made like the originals, you wouldn't need a special pedal! They used a clamp around the brake pedal, and a pulley equalizer and cables. Much simpler design!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration