Muffler wrap color

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Muffler wrap color
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

I have been doing some research on the color of the
asbestos cover on the muffler.
Bruce Mc Calley,s book says that(1911-1914)the
wrap was dyed black.
I have been showing and driving Model T's since
1967. I have never seen a wraped muffler that was
dyed black.
What are your thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:14 pm:

True asbestos is an off white. I found some at a household auction and that was off white which I have on my '14. Gov. banned it, I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 11:06 pm:

A little more discussion to add to the debate:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/305055.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 02:33 am:

I have an original 14 muffler that had the entire wrap and straps is almost new condition. The asbestos wrap is white. The straps are black enameled. I also have some NOS straps from a Ford dealership that are the same enameled black. the rivet holding the loop is formed by punching through both sheets of metal with the edges rolled over on the second layer. Also when installed on the muffler the straps are pulled tight, bent over the loop to lock and then the very end of the strap is bent back on itself toward the loop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 03:21 am:

From the encyclopedia:
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc12.htm
(1912)OCT 18 Acc. 575, Letter 357, Ford Archives
T-1215. Muffler Asbestos. "Added note specifying this asbestos to be dyed black. Note: If possible we would like to have the muffler asbestos which we have on hand colored black in some way, also that the muffler straps be black enameled."
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc13.htm
(1913)AUG 29 Acc. 575, Letter 446, Ford Archives
T-1215 Muffler asbestos. "Removed note specifying this asbestos to be dyed black."

So if it was possible, only 1913 and maybe some early 1914 model year cars had the black muffler wrap. If some factory photos where white mufflers can be seen can be dated to early 1913, then it's likely the asbestos supplier never really met Ford's demand to color it black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 08:06 am:

I am attaching the (reduced!) scan of the page out of Bruce McCalley's Model T book with information about the mufflers of the 1911-1914 T-Models.Scan of muffler information

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 08:45 am:

Bruce's book was published in 1994, before www.
The material in the encyclopedia on this website is in many cases updated compared to what Bruce knew in 1994. The info I posted above reducing the possible black wrap era from 1911-14 to 1913 model year only (and possible not at all) is one example.
The material on his Comprehensive encyclopedia CD for sale from his widow is even more updated.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/333725.html?1357665853

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 10:04 am:

I've seen a few photos of new brass era T's on the assembly line and otherwise, and they are always white.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 07:39 pm:

I believe these are all 13s and all have white wraps.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration