1927 covertable top pattern

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1927 covertable top pattern
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Klaus - Peter Mereis on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 06:12 am:

I got a kit of parts for the top of my 1927 t car
but i don`t know how the go together there is no plan with it.
The parts i got in 1981 from the Fa. Warshawski & Co
1900-24 S. State St. Chicago Ill. 60616
There is perhaps someone who can help me.
regards Peter Mereis Germany

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 06:47 am:

Here is a thread about mounting a top on a 1913 Touring. While a '13 top different, much of the work is similar:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/340404.html?1370744938

Another thread on top mounting, this time a 1926 Touring:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/292489.html?1339464763

Some info on the 26/27 top bows:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/173560.html?1291318078

About the windbreaker on 26/27 tops:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/368940.html?1377482368

I'm sure there are more threads with great info, the easiest way for me is with google. Just put the search words you want to try together with site:www.mtfca.com and you'll get lots of threads to read :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 08:12 am:

Warshawski and JC Whitney were the same company. They used the street address of the same corner that their storefront occupied in Chicago.

Since this top has been folded for 33 years, I would be concerned about the condition of the vinyl. If you send me a personal message, I can look in the box for my convertible top and see if I can copy the instructions for you. They will be similar regardless of the manufacturer.

Basically you align the top frame and install the rear curtain first. Then the top pads are nailed to the bows and the top fabric is applied over the pads. Hidem welt covers the nails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 08:21 am:

Correction - It is Warshawsky with a "y" but still the same company as JC Whitney which exists today

Interesting story from Hemmings -
http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2006/10/01/hmn_feature18.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 09:02 am:

JC Whitney used to be the Harbor Freight of the auto parts world but they did sell items that weren't available any where else. I haven't ordered from them in over 20 years but by then, the selection was getting smaller.

Any one remember Curb Feelers? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

Here are printed instructions from another mfg, small scan, all I have saved from forum post.

Hope this helps a little, read it with a magnifying glass :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

The most important dimension is the height of the rear bow. This is controlled by the webbing which goes between the rear tack strip and the rear bow. It is also necessary to place the webbing between the rear bow and the front bow. This will align the entire top. I will go out and measure the height of mine. Mine is 31 inches from the back panel to the top of the rear bow. It fits very well. The bow should also be measured from the rear body panel, not from the ground. Measure the center of the rear panel and the center of the rear bow. Put the first tack at the center. Do not cut the rear panel until you are sure that measurement is correct. When it is correct, the Gypsy flaps will fit correctly to the rear iron and the top will fit without flopping around at the edges.

The top part should be fit starting at the front. The windbreaker has two flaps. One goes over the top of the windshield and the other fits tight against the windshield. When installing the top, measure to find the center of the top, and the center of the front bow. Put the first tack at the center. Also measure the center of the top and the center of the rear bow so that everything will be symmetrical.
Don't cut anything until you are sure everything fits. It is very easy to trim it but impossible to add to it!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration