OT - Did Ford have a "cheap" replacement parts policy early in their history?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Did Ford have a "cheap" replacement parts policy early in their history?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 11:45 am:

While putting together a comparison of Packard Model 30 and Ford Model K retail parts prices, I had a hard time finding the price of the Eisemann low tension magneto used by Packard. While the Packard parts catalog had some magneto parts, it didn't list the entire magneto. I finally found a price for the same Eisemann magneto used on the 1909 Cadillac listed at $126. The Ford Model K used a Holley high tension magneto, and the Ford parts book listed it at $125.

Ford Holley HT Mag (Ford parts book):

Meanwhile, searching other things, I found this advertisement for the same Holley mag (1907) listing for $160 (6 cyl model). How often does one find a part from the dealer over twenty percent less than retail market price? I wonder if the Ford Motor Company recognized the value of keeping cars on the road and the ongoing parts and repair value of a low cost parts policy?

1907 Holley Mag Advertisement:

Maybe this is one of the reasons it appears more early Ford cars survived compared with other period makes? I was unable to find a retail price for Eisemann LT magnetos, so I don't know if Cadillac also sold the replacement magneto at a reduced (compared with retail) cost or not. If anyone comes across an Eisemann magneto retail ad please post it,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 01:48 pm:

Is it possible Ford was able to buy a number of them at a reduced price to offer for resale? Given the potential future business that Ford would give Holley it seems, in my mind anyways, plausible. I of course have no evidence, simply the musings of my poor coffee starved brain!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 01:54 pm:

Rob,
I would be surprised if Ford bought extras as they didn't offer the mag on their other cars (although anything is possible). This gets a little murkier too because Ed Huff held the patent on this magneto (with Ford the assignor). Still, I would expect most companies to charge at the minimum the same price as a part or component was offered by the manufacturer at retail (Holley Brothers), but who knows.

Enjoy your coffee,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 02:00 pm:

Now my curiosity is piqued. I am not near as familiar with the K as you obviously are. Was it the same magneto from start to finish?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 02:05 pm:

Rob,
No, it "evolved" between the 06 and 07/08 K. Both were Holley/Huff, but there were changes including the way the plug wires enter the mag.
Rob (why do I feel like I'm talking to myself?)
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 02:13 pm:

LOL, insanity is just a state of mind Rob!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Cunningham on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 03:53 pm:

A three inch spark ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 07:29 pm:

Seems a little "optimistic". We're having our Holley restored so we'll see how it does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 09:15 pm:

You're having Holly restored? Why? Do you think she is starting to look old? Better watch what you say about Holly or your cars might be finding a new home. Oh you meant Holley. Gotcha. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 12:14 am:

Dave,
Restoration would be cheaper than a trade in.......

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration