Complete engine weight

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Complete engine weight
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 09:35 pm:

After a search of the forum, I find that a complete engine would weight 550lbs on a skid. Is that right Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 06:18 am:

There has been several threads with bits of interesting info on the weight topic, maybe I'll have to do my own weighing some day to sum it up..?

From: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/294433.html?1339332054
Four dip pan with hand crank................40
Trans guts (with flywheel & magnets)...99
Manifolds.................................................8
Mag ring.................................................18
Carburetor.................................................3
Generator................................................23

From: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/155080.html?1281751326
126 Short block with Cam and Crank Shaft, Pistons, Valves, Valve Guides and Valve Lifters.
26.0 1926 Head
20.0 Starter with Bendix and Spring Assembly
32.0 1926 Transmission Cover with High Speed Clutch Assembly and No Pedals
1.75 Front Ball Cap Bearing

That sums up to about 397 lbs without bolts and pedals, so maybe a little over 400 lbs with starter and generator, about 40 lbs less without them. Don't know if the timing gear cover was included in the short block weighed by Jim Golden, but it doesn't add much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 06:26 am:

Mike,
I have shipped many of them and they are around 550 on a skid complete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 06:33 am:

What does a pallet weigh? 20 lbs?
I wonder where the rest comes from? There was some discrepancy between Steve's & Jim's weighing, but not over 100 lbs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 10:31 am:

Roger,There are pallet's that weigh 10 pounds or one's that weigh 100 but will hold up to banding and forklift use.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 01:37 am:

An empty wooden pallet will generally weigh from 40 to 70 pounds depending on the wood type and moisture content of the wood.

The standard North American pallet, or GMA pallet, has deckboards of 40 inches and stringers of 48 inches.

Plus your going you're going need something for the motor to sit on. Or at least some blocking to keep it from rolling and them something to hold it in place.

It all adds up.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 09:18 am:

Joe Bell has the print for making a crate to ship a model T engine in! Simply build the crate/cradle,band it to a strong pallet,and ship.Bud.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration