Side Curtain patterns

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Side Curtain patterns
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 11:00 pm:

Does anybody have patterns for side curtains? I'm working on a deal with my trim professor for some clear vinyl that was donated to the college, so I can make a set for my 1923 roadster. I'd prefer to make them in the style of the originals, but with bigger windows. Any help you guys can give would be great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 08:47 am:

I had a set of roadster curtains custom made for me by Classtique Upholstery for my 1923 touring/pickup conversion, here is a pic of the driver side ones on and off the car:

car01

curtain01

curtain02

Here is a sketch showing the dimensions:

sketch

I had them cut a couple of extra slits and a notch in the front curtain to fit around my side mirror and spare tire carrier, you may not need those modifications. You can look at the photos for a general idea of the fastener locations, but your locations may vary somewhat depending on where you put the mating fasteners on your car. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 10:09 am:

I obtained the factory prints from the Benson Ford Research Center. A note of caution. Make paper patterns of each curtain, and punch a hole for each fastener where is says to put it, and then try on your car. If it doesn't line up exactly right, tape it up and do it again until you get it right. The Anzo fasteners are hard to find, but they are out there if you want them bad enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 02:17 pm:

If making new curtains, I would consider visibility over originality and include much larger clear areas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 02:44 pm:

I second what Gary said above.

My Wife made a set of side curtains for our '26 Roadster Pickup. They are completely made of clear plastic, no black edging, which allows clear vision almost the same as with no side curtains.

Unless you are going to be judged, I recommend as much clear as possible for better vision.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 05:08 pm:

I do like the idea of doing as large a window as possible, but adding a bit of black vinyl around the edges makes it seem more complete to me. Judging isn't a factor, and even if it was I'd leave them off during judging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 05:06 pm:

Does anybody know of a source for the fasteners?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 05:20 pm:

Check the major T suppliers, they all have them, just check their catalogs or websites for "side curtain fasteners".

If you do your curtains like mine shown above, you will need six "lift the dot" fasteners with the tall pegs, the rest of the fasteners are called "common sense" or sometimes "Murphy" fasteners.

I don't know what your budget is, but the vendors also make special punch tools for punching the holes in the side curtain material for the fasteners. The punches cut the large center hole and the slots for the fold-over tabs at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 05:38 pm:

Oh, almost forgot, you'll also need the two sheet metal hooks that fit onto the front lower windshield post bolts and the two sheet metal hooks that fit under the screws that are halfway up the windshield posts. If you want to fasten the tops of the side curtains to the top front rain flap, you'll need two male and female snap fasteners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 06:13 pm:

Just a tip to get everything looking neat. Make the curtains and fit them to the car. THEN, mark out the cut-outs for the clear on the curtains. That will keep everything in line and make for a well finished job with all the windows lined up.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 06:26 pm:

Find out what kind of "clear vinyl" it is before wasting time with it. It's better to use convertible top window vinyl instead of the utility type or shower curtain vinyl. The automotive vinyl has UV inhibitors and is thicker. Standard utility vinyl will turn brown when exposed to sunlight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:59 am:

Restoration Hardware in Pennsylvania has a lot of the old style fasteners, including Anzos. The original Ford eisinglass was .010", but I usually use a thicker material. I have found it at automotive upholstery supplies. BTW, we are now selling the correct 5/8 binding that Ford used for the side curtains, and rear windows on touring and roadster tops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 10:08 am:

For fasteners these people were suggested a month or so back;
http://www.antiqueautotophardware.com/contact.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 01:51 pm:

Mark, I have the tabs for the middle of the windshield posts. I don't have the ones for the bottom bolts, but I'm sure they're easy to find from suppliers.

Alan, that's a good idea. I hadn't thought about that.

Ken, the donation came from a trimmer who did a lot of car and boat work, so I'm guessing it's the right stuff. It's also a lot thicker than a shower curtain, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks Larry and Mark. I will look into both suppliers.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration