OT - The Revs Institute and The Collier Collection Opens Its Doors to Visitors and Groups

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - The Revs Institute and The Collier Collection Opens Its Doors to Visitors and Groups
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 06:53 am:

Gary Cooper's 1935 Duesenberg SSJ

Today marks the day that The Revs Institute for Automotive Research, and the Collier Collection, one of the world’s premier auto collections will open its doors to the public. The world-class grouping was first started in 1986, when Miles Collier acquired the Cunningham Museum collection of longtime family friend Briggs S. Cunningham. Since that time, Mr. Collier has carefully added some of world’s most significant automobiles and also has assembled one of the finest automotive research libraries to be found anywhere.

Both will now be open on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday for general admission, and both docent lead and group tours. All visitors must reserve tickets for specific dates and times in advance. The collection hosts more than 100 automotive masterpieces manufactured between 1896 and 1995, each of which was added because of their rarity and historical significance.

Learn about and see a video of the perfect place for you or your car club to visit @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=117322

1913 Peugeot 3.0-liter Coupe de l’Auto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 07:19 am:

I have ALWAYS lusted after Duesenbergs. Ever since I read about Dirk Pitt having a 1929 Model J in one of Clive Cussler's many books I have thought they were some of the most beautiful automobiles ever built. I highly doubt I will ever make enough money to actually own one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 08:38 am:

The Duesenbergs are well worth seeing but the Collier Collection even has a very nice 1909 Model "T" Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 09:27 am:

Last year at the HME, I heard a couple of early Duesy owners saying the later ones drove like trucks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 09:34 am:

Wife says the front bumper on the Duesenberg looks like a mustache

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 09:37 am:

Not true, I have driven half a dozen Model J's and while working at the Collier Collection a year ago in the shop for a week, I was able to drive the Gary Cooper car. It was wonderful driving car and one of the highlights of my work with Old Cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 09:47 am:

Looks like a good reason to visit Florida.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 10:49 am:

Anyone lusting after Deusenbergs should visit the Auburn-Cord-Deusenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana. It'll blow your socks off!

Their collection is quite varied, not just A-C-D's. They even have a few Fords! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 11:04 am:

I wonder what happened to the collection at The Imperial Palace in Los Vages? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 11:12 am:

They have several Deusenberg Js at the Gilmore Museum here in Michigan. You can get close enough to touch them, although they actively discourage that. In the same room, they have a Caddy V-16, a big ol' dual phaeton Packard, and a number of other cars that escape my memory at the moment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 11:14 am:

It's still there, I think. They claim to have a dozen Duesies on display: http://www.classics.com/impal.html

I was there in 1994. I can only remember two specific cars from that visit, a Tucker and a Ford Model K Touring. A Ford Six is indeed an impressive car :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 11:16 am:

My reply was directed at Bud about the Imperial Palace collection in Las Vegas, Nv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 11:27 am:

The "Revs Institute" is a great resource for early car information. They have helped me over the phone and online find things in the past. I hope to visit there one day.

And speaking of Gary Cooper, one of my favorites (caution, thread drift :-) ):

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NkUFv0xbdrw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 11:46 am:

If I remember to do so, next month I will be in Las Vegas for a week and I will see if the car collection is still there. The Imperial Palace building is still there but is now called the Quad, I think. I will be staying near there so will look. They used to let us in free if we had a AAA membership.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration