26 coupe bumpers Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 26 coupe bumpers Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 12:42 pm:

Can I use the straight bars In the rear bumper on the coupe ,will the tire mount be in the way
Or do I need to go to the 2 part bumper?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 01:13 pm:

Lorenzo, Ford originally made two different length rear bumper brackets. The ones for sedans and touring were different length (shorter, I think, but I could have it backwards) than the ones for coupes, and roadsters. It makes sense that pickups didn't use a rear bumper. When I restored my Grandfather's 27 coupe in the sixties, it didn't have bumpers, and when I found brackets, I ended up with one of each length. Since I was using a sedan/touring spare tire gooseneck, the longer one seemed the logical choice and I spliced in about six inches to the shorter bracket. I would think that the new repro brackets would fit all bodies, but I would ask the vendor to be sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 02:37 pm:

Full width bars will fit just fine. The rear brackets stick out past the spare.

Room for dual spares if you wish too :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 08:37 pm:

Terry, I do have a long and a short set[ see pic.]I think the short one [not sure] will be best for the coupe , but weight is something to look into ..thank you for input

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 08:53 pm:

Lorenzo, What does weight have to do with it? The only concern is that the bars extend back of the spare with enough extra space to remove the spare tire from the carrier. Since my spare was mounted on a sedan gooseneck carrier, I cannot say with certainty that the short ones will clear. Maybe so; maybe not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 09:03 pm:

Terry between the bars and the brackets ,it is somewhat heavy for a coupe..im thinking ,not to mention the extra length...we will see
Thank you ..Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 09:06 pm:

Actually, I think the longer ones work work for the coupe and the shorter ones work on the sedans and tourings. If you notice the angle that bottom of the spare tire and how it sits. The touring and sedans with the gooseneck angle in at the bottom on the coupe the spare tire angles out at the bottom.
I think there is a thread on here the discussed this a couple of years back. Dan Treace posted some good info as I recall.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 09:30 pm:

Larry, From my experience, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 07:19 pm:

terry , I took a scale to it it was 52-3 [-+] pounds all the parts without the bolts and the oval piece that unites the bars

. Thanks ..lorenzo

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration