New rear spring pad

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: New rear spring pad
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 03:29 pm:

Leather from the local saddle shop and long transmission band rivets from Lang's. Yes, I could have bought it from one of the parts dealers, but I'd rather pay them that money for something I can't do. And, yes, I know the rivets are upside down. Guess what. Nobody will see them. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 04:47 pm:

What years was this used?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 04:52 pm:

1909-1927

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 04:55 pm:

Part #3842, page 25 in the 8-5-28 Ford parts book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 09:18 am:

Looks great, Steve, glad you used the rivets instead of just relying on glue to hold the end pads.

Can you please post a picture of your NOS spring center bolt fully engaged with the frame crossmember so that folks can see how high the correct thicker headed bolt sticks into its hole? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 10:36 am:

Only from the bottom. The top is hidden by the body, which I'm not taking off. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 12:20 pm:

Oops, my mistake, sorry, I thought there might be enough space between the crossmember and body to sneak in an inspection mirror.

Here are a couple of views of the head of my rear spring bolt when my pickup bed is raised. Since it looks like the head of the bolt only sticks up into the hole about halfway, I'm assuming it is one of the reproduction bolts.

bolt1

bolt2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

I do not remember the pads being on either side on the one I bought from a supplier years ago. Seems to me that it was just a thick piece of rubber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 03:52 pm:

I believe I got the measurements from RV Anderson. Here's the drawing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 04:47 pm:

I purchased a aftermarket rear spring tie bolt and the head would not extend beyond the leather pad. Luckily I had kept the old tie bolt (even though it was broken), ground the remaining threads off the head. Then welded the head to the new repro, little grinding and now the head goes through the leather and rear cross member.

Don't throw old parts away until the car is done, they can always be reused for something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 05:21 pm:

If you have access to a Mig welder, it would be a simple process to build up the head on a repro bolt and grind it square. Not original, but would work. Just a thought. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 06:39 pm:

OK so I see where one post says it was used from 1909 to 1927 and another post says 1909 to 1917.

I believe the second post is correct for cars from 1909 to 1917 with the two attached 2" x 2" square end pads.

I believe the later cars only had the center 10-1/4" x 2" pad.

Please let me know if I am mistaken so I can correct my '22.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 06:40 pm:

P.S.
I now see why Steve wears bibs...he uses his belt for a spring pad. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 09:50 am:

I have a couple of NOS pads, and yours looks just like them. Good job. I get mine from Russ Furstnow, much easier, plus Russ is a friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 10:09 am:

Langs sells both the leather and the rubber spring pads. According to them, the leather pad design is only used up to 1920.

RV Anderson's drawing also clearly states that the same design was not used for all years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:11 am:

I pulled a rear spring from a '26 frame a while back that was there from day one. It looked like Steve's but was made of top material with two rubber squares instead of leather riveted on.

That was a late factory spring pad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:17 am:

So I wonder how come the 8-5-28 Ford parts book above shows the same part for 1909-1927. Ford's illustration clearly shows rivets, so it must have the two-inch squares. If it changed after 1917 (or 1920?) I would think the 1928 parts book would show it.

Lang's 2014 catalogue (Page 86) shows "3842L Rear spring pad, leather as original 1909-27".

I wonder if anybody can cite a reference that documents and describes any changes.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration